What is the DeLorme Challenge?
The DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer is an amazingly detailed, large-format topographic and street map atlas for each of the 50 U.S. states. These maps are a favorite among travelers and outdoors enthusiasts, and are available at many locations, including online directly from DeLorme.
Are you up for the Challenge?
In order for you complete this cache you will need to travel across the great state of North Dakota and find at least one cache on every page of the North Dakota State DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer. That's a total of fifty-seven caches. Only after you have found a cache on each and every page can you log a find.
In 2004, Haicoole created the first DeLorme cache, the California DeLorme Challenge cache. Since then this type of cache has been duplicated in every state across the country.
- If you wish to take the challenge, please post a note on this page stating you accept the challenge.
- Create a shared bookmark list of the caches that you claim as eligible finds and make the bookmark list public. Don't forget to add this cache (GC32NZD) to your bookmark list so that it will show up here. Please update your bookmark list as you make progress.
- For non-premium members or for anyone having difficulty with managing a bookmark list we will accept a simple list of the completed caches (gpx files are preferred but you may use a standard word or spreadsheet file). The list must include the cache name, the GC#, the date you found it, and the page it is on. Please do not list your finds in the any of your logs.
- It is your job to prove to us that you have met the requirements for this cache. A bookmark list or simple list must be submitted or your Found it log will be deleted.
- Only physical caches with logbooks count as a find. Event caches, CITO caches, virtual caches, earth caches, temporary event caches, or "moving caches" DO NOT count as finds for this challenge.
- All geocaching.com guidelines for finding a cache apply to all finds for this challenge. All caches claimed toward this challenge must be listed on geocaching.com.
- You must physically find a cache from every map on pages 9 through 64 and sign the log. On page 53 there are two map blocks. A cache must be found for each map, not just one for the page making a total of fifty-seven cache finds being required to complete the ND DeLorme Challenge.
- You may use caches found before the publication of this challenge including archived caches that meet the geocaching.com guidelines. Archived caches will only count if you made the find while the cache was still active.
- The posted coordinates for each cache will be used to determine in which state or on which page a particular cache is located. Only caches in North Dakota will be eligible. For the pages that include areas not located in North Dakota, only the portion that is within North Dakota will be considered. For multi and puzzle caches the posted coordinates will be used to determine the location of the cache no matter where the final point is.
- The location of the page boundaries will be determined based on the 2005 Second Edition printing of the North Dakota DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer.
- Only those who have fulfilled ALL the additional logging requirements for this cache will be allowed to log it as a find on geocaching.com. All other Found it logs will be deleted.
- You must sign the logbook in the final cache, GC32NZD. The find cannot be logged on geocaching.com until the physical container is found and the logbook inside is signed.
- Do caches I own qualify?
- Caches you currently own do not qualify. However since this challenge is about getting out and seeing the great state of North Dakota we will accept caches you hide only if there are no other caches associated with the page your hide falls in.
If you do hide a cache to fulfill this challenge it must be a permanent cache and you must be able to maintain the cache according to geocaching.com guidelines. Also please send us a note explaining the need for the hide.
- Do I have to find a cache from map 53a and map 53b?
- Yes. You must find at least one cache found on the 53a map and at least one cache found on the 53b map.
- Do I have to purchase the North Dakota DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer?
- Although we recommend purchasing the North Dakota DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer it isn’t required. You can find downloadable files to assist you with this cache and other challenge caches on the NDGCA website.
- Can I claim caches that I have claimed on other challenge caches?
- Yes. In fact we recommend checking out the challenge caches page on the NDGCA website for other ND challenges that you can work on while working on this cache.
If you have any questions or need further clarification please don’t hesitate to send us an e-mail.
Many thanks go out to Haicoole for the original idea for this cache and to the owners of other DeLorme Challenge caches that I have borrowed information from.