Please read before you head out!
What's an intercache?
An InterCache is an interactive geocache. An intercache is a new way of creating a mystery geocache, similar to a wherigo geocache. The biggest difference is that the entire geocache can be developed, edited, and played on your mobile phone's browser with no software required to download! For those that have done my ethercache it's similar to that, but with more features.
How do you play?
First, make sure you have a compatible device. Go to intercaching.com on your cell phone and select the test button. I recommend doing this outside for best results. You should see your current coordinates as well as the estimated accuracy. If you see something reasonable, you'll all set! If you get an error, you may need to enable the GPS and other geolocation settings on your phone. You may also not have a compatible phone.
If your device is compatible, then head on over to the frolic intercache page and start. At each of the stages you will be given coordinates, though you shouldn't actually need them. There is a compass that has a red arrow pointing you the right direction as you move. You may have to walk a little bit before the arrow points in the right direction as this application doesn't have access to your phone's digital compass if it has one.
Each stage will have some information about the location, but you don't have to find anything physical other than the historical signs until the final. Some of the stages will require you to answer a question before it lets you move on. All of the stages will require that you are within a given radius before you can move on.
- This is a new way of looking for a geocache. It hasn't been tested on every phone with every OS, but seems to work fine with iOS and Android devices. Let me know if you have problems.
- It's safe to let your screen timeout while walking. When the screen times out, your GPS *should* go off and not waste battery. When you turn your phone screen back on, it might take a few seconds for the app to get your coordinates again.
Making your own intercache
If you're interested in making your own, go to www.intercaching.com and create an account. It's as easy as walking around, pressing a few buttons, and publishing!
New features coming "soon"
- Non linear play, allowing visits to stops in any order: New! This now is supported.
- Restricted times ... prevent the cache from working at night in closed areas, or only allow it to work at night for a new way of creating a night cache!
- Timing ... specify a max time to get between stages. Make those cachers run!
- Random orders ... each player gets random order for the waypoints. This prevents cacher congestion as happens during some multis.