Church Micro 2258... Yarwell
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The church dates from the 13th Century. The building originally had north and south aisles and was described as "an interesting specimen of early English architecture marked by all the simple grace and delicate severity of 13th century work". The dimensions were small (entire length only 62' x 34')
On 13th & 14 th April 1782 after a particularly heavy fall of snow and much rain resulting in the coping on the north side of the nave falling on the aisle roof and in the bulging of the aisle wall. The wall had been undermined by the custom of burying within the church when stone slabs were taken up in order that the vaults might be made, often close to the walls and sometimes so close as to lead to the lower part becoming actually cut through and portions of the foundations removed. A faculty states that the main roof was decayed and damaged and the south aisle out of repair. It is also believed that the weight of the lead added to the collapse. As the nave and chancel were "more than adequate to contain the inhabitants" the aisles with their porches were removed and the arcades walled up.
In 1804 James French was paid £6.10s for thatching the chancel which remained thatched until 1892. The medieval piers are now partly visible possibly as a result of the restoration work of 1892 which also involved the rebuilding of most of the north and south chapels.
In the Chancel is the tomb of Humphrey Bellamy. It is thought that the tale of Dick Whittington is based on his life. Local Legend has it that Humphrey Bellamy, a poor beggar boy, destitute and ill when he passed through Yarwell was fed and cared for by the villagers on his way to London to find his uncle who was a rich merchant that he vowed never to forget their kindness. In later years he too became prosperous and was made Alderman of London. He died in 1715 and acording to his Will he was returned to Yarwell to be buried with much pomp and ceremony. He endowed a charity to aid the local poor with just £10, the interest of which became known as 'Beggar Boy's Money'.
The carved oak choir stalls and clergy desks were placed in the Chancel in 1910. In 1948 the church was thoroughly overhauled and made water tight and redecorated at a cost of £478.15s.10d. This amount having been raised by public subscriptions.
There are 4 bells - The first inscribed "hi" and is a tall narrow bell, medieval, the second inscribed "Cum voco cenite Edwarde Lisle 1714", the third inscribed "Multi Vocata Pauci Electi" by J Eayre 1754, and the fourth bell is modern.
The weather vane on the tower has a lead globe and is perhaps 18th century. The clock was replaced in 2010 thanks to the Jubilee Committee and their fundraising.
The cache is a small nano tube, can be done as a cache and dash.
“If anybody would like to expand to this series please do, I would just ask that you could let Sadexploration know first so he can keep track of the Church numbers and names to avoid duplication.
There is also a Church Micro Stats page found via the Bookmark list”
Ghpxrq va pbagergr cbfg ybj qbja