Catrin was the youngest daughter of Welsh hero Owain Glyndwr (Owen Glendower in Shakespeare's Henry IV), who was leading the fight for Welsh independence from the English in the Welsh Revolt of 1400-1415, and was the last native Welshman to hold the title 'Prince of Wales'
Catrin was captured with her children and mother at Harlech Castle in 1409 by the army of Henry IV and held prisoner in the Tower of London as political hostages. Catrin and two of her children died in unknown circumstances in the Tower in December 1413 following the accession of Henry V in March of that year and were buried together here in the graveyard of St. Swithin's church.
The church was destroyed during the Great Fire of London and after being rebuilt, was damaged again during the blitz of WWII before finally being demolished in 1962. Today, the site is accessible to the public and is surrounded by tower blocks.
The memorial was unveiled on Sunday, 16th September 2001.
The monument is made from Gelligaer bluestone and suggests two figures, a mother protecting her child. It was designed by Pontypridd artist Nic Stradling-John and sculpted by Richard Renshaw of Cwmdu.