Skip to Content

Traditional Geocache

The Finnish Museum of Natural History

A cache by Viipu Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 12/21/2012
In Finland
Difficulty:
1 out of 5
Terrain:
1 out of 5

Size: Size: small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Kätkö esittelee Luonnontieteellistä museota. Kätköpurkki on pienehkö ”small”, joten sinne mahtuvat vain pienet matkaajat ja geokolikot. BYOP!

The cache is located near the The Finnish Museum of Natural History. Note that the cache container is small, so only small trackables and geocoins will fit in. BYOP!


Luonnontieteellisen museon (Eläinmuseo, “Elukka”) komea rakennus valmistui vuonna 1913 alun perin venäläiseksi poikakouluksi. Aleksanterin kimnaasi ehti toimia tiloissa kuitenkin vain neljä vuotta (1913-1917). Suomen itsenäistyttyä venäläiset laitokset lakkautettiin, ja kimnaasi muuttui Suomen ensimmäiseksi kadettikouluksi tammikuussa 1919. Museoksi rakennus muuttui vuonna 1923 Helsingin yliopiston ostettua sen valtiolta. Eläintieteelliset kokoelmat siirrettiin Pohjoiselle Rautatiekadulle komeassa täytettyjen eläinten karavaanissa. Yleisölle museo avattiin vuonna 1925.

Näyttelyt ovat kehittyneet paljon alkuajoista, jolloin museo palveli ensisijaisesti yliopiston opiskelijoita ja tutkijoita muiden katselijoiden päästessä paikalle vain sunnuntaisin - neljän tunnin ajaksi! Viimeisin suuri muutostyö museolla on tehty vuosina 2005-2008, jolloin rakennusta peruskorjattiin ja entisöitiin. Nykyiset pysyvät näyttelyt ovat: Luut kertovat, Suomen Luonto, Maailman luonto ja Elämän historia.

Hauskana yksityiskohtana mainittakoon museon katolla pyörivä siittiötä ja munasolua kuvaava tuuliviiri. Sen alkuperä on osin hämärän peitossa, mutta nykyinen viiri on korvannut alkuperäisen IZ-kirjaimin (Institutum Zoologicum) koristellun tuulen suunnan näyttäjän joskus vuosien 1957–1965 välillä entisen viirin pudottua myrskyssä. Viiri herätti jonkinmoista pahennusta ja keskustelua, onko se ylipäätään kaupunkikuvaan sopiva. Jossain vaiheessa viiri ilmeisesti putosi uudelleen ja torni olikin pitkään ilman tuuliviiriä kunnes 1980-luvun museorakennuksen peruskorjauksen yhteydessä vanhasta viiristä teetettiin kopio ja siittiö ja munasolu palasivat tornin huipulle. Helsingin yliopiston biologian opiskelijoiden ainejärjestö Symbioosi ry otti siittiön ja munasolun logokseen vuonna 1983.

Vaikka Helsingin yliopiston eläintieteen laitos opiskelijoineen muuttikin museorakennukselta Viikkiin osaksi biotieteellistä tiedekuntaa vuonna 2002, biologian opiskelijoilla on toki edelleen yhteytensä museoon. Yksi säilyneistä perinteistä on museon ulkopuolella seisovan, kuvanveistäjä Jussi Mäntysen tekemän pronssisen hirvipatsaan lakittaminen vappuaattona. Lakittajan kunniakkaan tehtävän saavat shokkelomestarit eli ne ensimmäisen vuoden biologian opiskelijat, jotka ottavat vapunpäivänä järjestettävän luontoaiheinen lastentapahtuma Shokkelon järjestelyistä päävastuun. Itse Shokkelo järjestetään nykyisin Kumpulan kasvitieteellisellä puutarhalla museorakennuksen tilojen käytyä ahtaaksi kasvaneelle osallistujamäärälle.

Lisätietoja museon historiasta
Aukioloajat ja muuta tietoa

Museorakennus - The Museum Kira & Raffe Tuuliviiri - The weather vane

The stately building of The Finnish Museum of Natural History was built in 1913, originally to be a school for Russian boys. However, the ”Gymnasium of Alexander” operated for only four years (1913-1917). Once Finland gained its independence in 1917, Russian institutions were disbanded and the Gymnasium became Finland’s first cadet school in January 1919. The building didn’t become a museum until 1923 when the University of Helsinki bought it from the state. The zoological collections were transferred to Pohjoinen Rautatienkatu in a caravan of stuffed animals. The museum opened to public in 1925.

The exhibitions have developed a lot since the beginning when the museum mainly welcomed university students and researchers. Other visitors were allowed in only on Sundays – for four hours. The latest renovation of the museum was done during 2005-2008. The current continual exhibitions are: ”Story of the Bones”, ”Finnish Nature”, ”World Nature”, and ”The History of Life”.

A fun detail on top of the museum roof is a weather vane depicting a spermatozoon and an ovum. Its origins are somewhat unclear, but the current vane replaced the previous one (adorned with the initials IZ for Institutum Zoologicum) at some point between 1957 and 1965 after a storm caused it to fall down. The current vane evoked some disdain and its appropriateness for the cityscape was questioned. At some point the vane fell down again and a new one wasn’t brought in until the 1980s when a replica was made of the old vane – and the spermatozoon and ovum were back on top of the tower. The University of Helsinki biology students’ student association Symbioosi ry adopted the spermatozoon and ovum as its logo in 1983.

The Department of Zoology of the University of Helsinki moved from the museum building to Viikki as a part of the Faculty of Biosciences in 2002. However, the biology students still have their connections with the museum. Every year on May Day, a nature-themed children’s event ”Shokkelo” is organized by first year biology students. The event used to take place at the museum but nowadays more space is needed so it is organized at Kumpula Botanic Garden instead. The museum is still part of the tradition however. The freshmen chosen as ”Shokkelo masters” carry out several noble tasks, including putting a student cap on the head of the moose statue in front of the museum on May Day’s eve, as student caps traditionally belong together with Finnish May Day.

Museum opening times and other information

Additional Hints (No hints available.)



 

Find...

3,626 Logged Visits

Found it 3,539     Didn't find it 28     Write note 32     Temporarily Disable Listing 2     Enable Listing 2     Publish Listing 1     Needs Maintenance 12     Owner Maintenance 9     Update Coordinates 1     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 96 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated: on 9/23/2017 9:50:25 AM Pacific Daylight Time (4:50 PM GMT)
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page