How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This is an easy cache located just off of Ridgefield's historic Main Street. Words of wisdom mark the path to the cache. The cache is a small clear plastic box.
The area north of this cache was set aside as the Town Green in 1712 and was a town center until the mid-1800s. Ridgefield's first community building, a small wooden structure, was located here on the green. It housed both civic and religious meetings, led first by the Reverend Thomas Hauley, who began his duties as pastor, town clerk, and school teacher in 1713.
In 1723, the town "voted unanimously that a meeting house shall be built" for the Congregational Church. Completed in 1726, it stood to the East of this cache and measured 34 feet wide by 46 feet long. Plans for a new building began in 1765, but construction was not complete until 1800. This second meeting house was located North of this cache. The First Congregational Church moved in 1888 to its present building, constructed of native granite, a quarter-mile south at the intersection of West Lane.
The Jesse Lee Memorial United Methodist Church began worshiping at this location in 1968. Circuit Rider Jesse Lee, who founded more than 30 Methodist churches in New England, preached at Ridgefield's Independent School House in June 1789. The Ridgefield church that bears his name built a chapel at the intersection of North Street and North Salem Road in 1824, and moved to the corner of Main and Catoonah Streets in 1841.
Guvf pnpur vf n ebpx fbyvq fghzcre!
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum