How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The cache is located where the dogs stays.
The 19th Century Governor of the Cape of Good Hope, Simon van der Stel, discovered the rich copper deposits of Namaqualand during 1685. Unable to find a suitable harbour from which to export the ore, 158 years passed before, in 1843, revived interest in the rich copper fields of Namaqualand saw attempts to transport the copper ore by ox wagon or by boat from the mouth of the Orange River to the Cape of Good Hope. These endeavours proved futile and pioneer miners became increasingly despondent. Providentially in 1846, Thomas Grace, a ship’s captain discovered a small natural harbour where he immediately established a trading station. A big gneiss rock resembling a dog inspired him to name the place “Hondeklip Bay”. The first Copper Mines commenced production between 1850 and 1852. On 31st August 1852 the Bosphorus shipped the first eleven tons of copper ore from Hondeklip Bay directly to Wales. Increased shipping to and from Cape Town also brought about better living conditions to the Namaqualanders who were quite unused to “luxuries” such as tea and sugar.
"Ybf wbh fbetr uvre"