The coordinates given refer to a suitable place to park and not the cache location.
If you look at a map of the old county boundaries of Cambridgeshire, the parish of Gamlingay is a long thin promontory sticking out to the west. It is almost entirely surrounded by Bedfordshire on the south, and Huntingdonshire on the north, and hardly feels like Cambridgeshire at all. Indeed the church does not look a Cambridgeshire church being much larger than most others serving this type of community.
The church itself is an amalgam of many building phases. There has been a church on the site since at least the 11th century. The current structure was started in 13th century although some bits of the original church were reused. It is thought that the base of the font is the original Saxon font inverted and that some of the ornamentation on the south side comes from the original church as well. In the 14th century the tower was added to the church and in the 15th it is thought that the original thatched roof was replaced by a flatter leaded roof. This allowed much larger windows to be installed. In 1653 a new set of bells, cast in the parish, were hung and of these 3 still remain. Two extra bells were added this century making a peel of 8 bells. A further major modification of the church occurred late in the 19th century when parts of the medieval church were rediscovered.
Most of the church is made of locally quarried stone. This is largely an ironstone which is relatively soft, hence the softening of all of the faces of the walls. Inside is an agglomeration of different building styles, with sections being covered up, removed, modified and then in some areas reinstated as tastes changed over the centuries.
Around the grounds of the church there are several old relics, notably the remains of a medieval stump cross destroyed in 1643 and also a pair of Mass dials near the priest door on the South side.
To the cache itself. The cache is situated a short distance from the church on public land. The cache is log only, please bring a pen. All of the answers to the clues can be obtained without leaving the grave yard.
What date did Mary Arnold’s husband die Aa Dec 1888
How far is it to Croydon B.
How old were James Deane and Elisabeth Hepworth when they died Cx.
Holy Communion (Dxxx) .
When was the Gamlingay Schools date stone laid ExFx.
How old was Samuel Arnold when he died Gg .
Cache is located at N 52° 09.(A+a-3/2)BC W 00° 11.D(E+F)(G+g-1) .
Congratulations to Ryo62 and Rodders09 on a joint FTF
If anybody would like to expand to this series please do, I would just ask that you could let Sadexploration know first so he can keep track of the Church numbers and names to avoid duplication
To view the church micro stats page, please click here