Church Micro 2571...Ashwell - St Mary
St Marys Church. C14 tower and nave. C15 alterations. Circa 1830 rebuilt chancel. Flint rubble with clunch dressings. Chancel is chequered red brick with stone dressings. 2-stage W tower with angle buttresses and battlements. Mostly clunch, it has a 2-light traceried W window and similar belfry windows. C15 S porch with shallow-gabled parapet and 4-centre-arched door in moulded square frame. W side of porch has a hooded 3-light window; corresponding E window blocked. The nave is battlemented and has on N and S sides a 3-light traceried window with 6 trefoiled lancets in tympanum. Other windows are 1 and 2 lights, except for 3-light net-traceried E window. N nave door with simple C14 pointed arch. Interior: Aisle-less nave with late C19 panelled roof retaining 4 C15 carved wooden corbel figures. In splay of N nave window and in SE corner of nave are 2 canopied niches. Spiral rood staircase next to N window. Big W arch with semi-octagonal shafts. Mis-shapen C14 chancel arch. The chancel has panelled ceiling with simple bosses. Circa 1830 reeded dado and altar back. Good early-mid C19 stained glass. Brasses in chancel: on N wall, mid C15; on floor; man, woman and 6 children, believed to be John Lambard, Alderman of London (d.1487). Mid C18 pulpit with fielded panels. C16-17 Rector's chair. Small mid C19 octagonal font. (Pevsner (1977)).
This is a traditional cache and IS at the published coordinates.
The cache is a 35mm film canister.