Church Micro 2688... Stow Longa
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
•The church of St. Botolph consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, south chapel, south aisle and west tower. The walls are of coursed rubble and the roofs are covered with tiles and lead.
•The church is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086 but the existence of a pre-conquest slab with interlaced work seems to indicate an early church on the site, whilst numerous remains of the 12th century date point conclusively to a stone church at that period. The whole church was apparently rebuilt about the middle of the 13th century; the south arcade and the south aisle were built last around 1280. About 1330, the eastern end of the south aisle was rebuilt and widened to form a south chapel; about the same time, new windows were inserted into the aisle walls. In the 15th century, the south arcade was rebuilt, probably after a fall, and the clearstory was added. The west tower was built and the western responds to the nave arcades were rebuilt around 1500.
•Sometime, probably in the 17th century, the upper part of the clearstory and the nave roof fell or were taken down and a poor barn-like roof was put on. The chancel and chancel arch were largely rebuilt in 1880, and the rest of the church was restored from 1888 to 1893, when the south chapel and the east wall of the north aisle were largely rebuilt. In 1901, the upper part of the clearstory was rebuilt and reroofed, the aisles repaired and reroofed, and the south door reset. The north-west corner of the north aisle was partly rebuilt in 1906.
A 35mm pot, can be done as a cache and dash
“If anybody would like to expand to this series please do, I would just ask that you could let Sadexploration know first so he can keep track of the Church numbers and names to avoid duplication.
There is also a Church Micro Stats page found via the Bookmark list”
onpx bs gerr bar sbbg hc