SPPT #148 - Winn-Boone Rail to Trail Challenge
In Illinois, United States
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This cache is located at the listed coordinates but because this is a challenge cache, there are alternate logging requirements that must be met before you can post an online "Found it!" log on this cache page. Details of the challenge can be found after the description of the series.
Scott's Cache of the Show for Episode 88 (Visit Link)
Welcome to the SPPT (Stone Prairie Power Trail) which is a 20.23 mile Geocaching series that traverses both the Long Prairie Trail in Boone County and the Stone Bridge Trail in Winnebago County. Both of these trails are the result of a Rails to Trails initiative that started in the 1990's after the abandonment of the former Kenosha Division Rail line of the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad. The Long Prairie trail was completed first in the late 1990's and the Stone Bridge Trail was opened in 2001 by Roscoe Township.
Long Prairie Trail: This trail is managed by the Boone County Conservation District headquartered in the Southern Boone County city of Belvidere. After the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad abandoned the line following a derailment West of Beaverton Road, the BCCD stepped in and started developing the Long Prairie Trail as part of the Rails to Trails initiative that reuses and preserves the original right of ways of abandoned railroad lines.
Stone Bridge Trail: This trail is managed by Roscoe Township and was completed in 2002. Following the success that Boone County had with the Long Prairie Trail, the Roscoe Township acquired the right of way from McMichael Road at the Long Prairie Trail West terminus to McCurry road in 1999. The final section to Rockton Road was acquired and developed in 2001. In addition, the Circa 1883 Stone Bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the Department of the Interior which will serve to preserve that section of the trail for years to come. Unlike Long Prairie Trail, Stone Bridge Trail does allow snowmobiles in the winter.
About this cache series: This series is a collaborative effort between RebelGTP, Smurfy98 and leepfrog95. Seekers of the series should note that some of the caches are located on tough terrain and should not be attempted unless the seeker is comfortable with that terrain. Most of the caches are also straightforward hides but there may be a few tricky ones thrown into the mix. We hope that you enjoy seeking out this series and that you can see what a treasure this trail complex is to North Central Illinois.
Logging Requirements for this cache
Welcome to the Winnebago-Boone County Rail to Trail Challenge.
In order to post a "Found it!" log on this cache you must meet the following requirements:
1. You must have found or placed at least 80% of the active caches along this trail (The Long Prairie Trail and Stone Bridge Trail from GC3HZDJ - "SPPT #001 - Start with a Puzzle?" to this cache, GC3JQVZ - "SPPT #148 - Winn-Boone County Rail to Trail Challenge")
Qualifying caches and series include:
- "SPPT #001" to "SPPT #147" (147 caches)
- "END O' LINE - EAST" (GCM6BB)
- "NIL Rail to Trail - 1" to "NIL Rail To Trail - 11 (Bonus)" (11 caches)
- "LONG PRAIRIE TRAIN WRECK" (GCM1WB)
- "Long Prairie Fen (GC2JPTT) (Earthcache)
- "Hobo living on a bridge" (GC2YHX1)
- "On the fence #2" (GC337ZP)
- "Ten Mile Hike" (GC2MHHX)
- "Caledonia Tornado" (GC2MHHK)
- "Monster Cache" (GC34RHN)
- "Hop To It " (GC3DKDG)
- "NILCS #1" (GC1DGPC)
- "Scrooge Cache # 10 Birds & Bells" (GC214KW)
- "Stup-da-Cache" (GC12VW3) cache archived on 9/10/2012, finds on this challenge after 9/9/2012 cannot include this cache for qualification
- "Off the Path" (GC2P8DW)
- "COWPASS" (GCV4FH)
- "Rock of Gibraltar" (GC2WDRR)
- "BELOW STONE BRIDGE" (GCM1W4)
- "Candyland" (GC24F7N)
- "brutus6519's 1000th cache" (GC33815) this cache added to challenge on 9/14/2012 but counts towards challenge regardless of found date
- "The DT tunnel" (GC318T9)
- "Family Find 2: Jurassic Park in Roscoe?' (GC281Y4)
- "Christopher Robin's Treasure" (GC8E27)
- "Cardinal Fan" (GC26ZVX)
Of those , the count is 178 caches NOT including this one.
2. You must either add the qualifying caches to a bookmark list that is made public where I can verify qualification or email a copy of your "My Finds" Pocket Query to the following address: SPPT@lwdws.com. If verification is not made that you have found 80% of the hides along the trail, then your online "Found it" may be deleted. (Bookmark list should include the dates which you found the caches that are part of this challenge for each entry. Bookmark list is also the preferred method of verification. Regular Geocaching.com members cannot use the Bookmark list method due to limitations on that type of account.)
Qualifying Hides Information: As of May 24th, 2012, the total number of caches that you need to have found is 80% of 178 caches (143 caches) As of June 14th, 2012, the SPPT series is fully complete with the publish of SPPT #066, SPPT #067, and SPPT #127. The full series not including this challenge cache is 147 caches as stated in the list above.
Once again, if it is deemed that you do not qualify to log a find on this cache, your online "Found it!" Log will be deleted.
We hope you have fun!
Whfg yvxr FCCG #085
Last Updated: on 04/15/2016 07:59:24 Pacific Daylight Time (14:59 GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum