Church Micro 2804…St Georges, Littleport
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Nano cache, hidden in church grounds with permission from St Georges Church
Cache placed with kind permission of St Georges Church.
The present Church dates back to the 15th century, although there is some evidence of 14th century work from an earlier building on the site. The Church is dedicated to St. George, the patron saint of England and sits on an elevated site in the centre of the village and dominates its surroundings.
Apart from one of the internal arches, the oldest part of the church is the north tower which is built in four stages with a brick parapet at its top. There is a door on the south side which has carved heads above it, one of a prior of a monastery and the other of St. Edmund, who was King of East Anglia from 855 to 870; he was a popular saint in the eastern part of England. The tower houses the belfry which has a full peal of eight bells that were installed in 1891. They were re-hung in 1935 on the original frames. A clock was first placed in the south side of the tower in 1744 but in 1848 it was moved to the east side and was then replaced in 1919 and dedicated to those who lost their lives in the first World War.
English Heritage has placed the church on the “Heritage at Risk” register, due to weather and water penetration damage. Providing the project cost can be met, through fundraising, work is expected to be completed on the tower by October 2013.
If anybody would like to expand to this series please do, I would just ask that you could let Sadexploration know first so he can keep track of the Church numbers and names to avoid duplication
To view the church micro stats page, please click here
CONGRATULATIONS to Charlieb123 for FTF
1. Jngre geniryf qbja vg....
2. Ng urnq urvtug (vs lbh arry qbja!)
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum