The disused branch line connected the West Coast main line at Hincaster with Heversham, Sandside and Arnside, cutting off the 'corner' to Carnforth. At one time it was busy carrying coal from Durham to the iron works in Furness. It opened in 1876 but closed to passengers in 1942. The rails were taken up in 1966.
The line is now quite wooded (gps signals can be tricky!) and has several interesting sights to see. Five bridges span this short section; a reasonable length of limestone cutting exposes the layers of rock; the long platform at Heversham still exists although it's being reclaimed by vegetation; and there's plenty of nature in various guises to spot.
Access at the southern end is tricky and not recommended, best to start here and do it as a 'there & back'. It is about 1.2km to Heversham Station, the platform of which still exists. There is also somewhere to park at this northern end, see waypoint. Alternatively, see map for a 'circular' route to include Heversham Head, enjoy the area.
This cache is on the footpath as it crosses the line heading for Heversham Head, via the playing fields. A mortared structure will reward you with some Heinz!