How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This cache is located just a short walk, with parking available. And has a great view of the bridge.
History of the bridge. The Somerset and Kennebec Railroad reached Skowhegan during 1856. The first railroad bridge, built in 1856, was destroyed by the spring floods of 1857. A new wooden structure with granite piers was built the same year. During 1880, the wooden structure was replaced with an iron bridge. During 1910, a steel bridge was erected to accommodate the increase weight of the trains. With the increasing popularity of the automobile, passenger rail service to Skowhegan ended in 1933. Freight service to the north side of the river ended in during the early 1950’s. The railroad bridge was converted to a walking bridge and served the town until it was destroyed by the flood of 1987. A new walking bridge, was constructed during 1988. Congrats to ledgergang on the FTF!
snzbhf puvarfr ynaqznex
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum