With all the lovely weather we’ve been having lately, it’s time to get outdoors and explore the world, well a small part of it anyway!
The published coordinates are NOT the location for this event, but it is the starting point. This event involves a drive through some beautiful countryside and ends up at a picnic location where participants can come together and enjoy the friendship that is GEOCACHING. Those who attend will have the opportunity to catch up with old mates and make new friends while discussing all-things Geocaching. There is always the chance to discover and swap travel bugs and geocoins and to get answers to those niggling questions you have. Events like this one are a great way for new players to meet other geocachers and find out more. A group photo of those in attendance at the picnic will be taken at approximately 1:30pm.
Here’s how GEOTREK will work:
1. Arrive at the published coordinates at Porters Lookout, Dural, between 9am and 10am. You will be given a game sheet with the coordinates for ten waypoints to visit followed by the coordinates of the picnic spot.
2. Navigate to each waypoint in turn. At each waypoint a question will be asked on your game sheet. Three answers will be given and all you do is circle the correct one.
3. The GEOTREK course alone should take you between 1.5 and 2 hours to complete.
4. Arrive at the picnic destination and hand in your game sheet for a chance to win a prize. To be eligible for a prize, you must have an entry with 100% correct answers. Don’t worry, the questions are very easy and the answers will be fairly obvious when you arrive at each waypoint. Prizes will be drawn randomly from the eligible entries.
5. At the final destination, enjoy a “BYO Everything” picnic and share your geocaching stories with others you meet. There are some shops a 5 minute walk away where you can get some takeaway food if you prefer.
6. There is no time limit to complete the course although the draw for the prizes will be conducted at 2:30pm. Entries close at 2:15pm.
If you can’t make the start during the stated times and/or don’t wish to participate in the GEOTREK course, you are still more than welcome to come along to the picnic. At 10am a sign with the location and coordinates of the picnic spot will be posted at the starting point at Porters Lookout. From here, it should take you approximately 40 minutes to drive to the picnic spot. For convenience, a second sign will be posted at Mark Taylor Oval, Waitara (coordinates: S33°42.438 E151°06.442 – look for the tall green pipe). From the Waitara sign, it should take you about 30 minutes to drive to the picnic spot.
In the case of bad weather on the day, a decision will be made and a note will be placed on this page at 7:30am on the morning of the event indicating if it will go ahead or not. Fingers are crossed for a beautiful day.
Please post a “Will Attend” log and indicate if you will be participating in the GEOTREK course or just coming to the picnic. Also, add this event to your watchlist so you receive any announcements.
We hope you can come along and help make this a very enjoyable event. Who knows... it may become an annual one.
Calypso62 and Geotooter
Did you know that NSW has its very own association to promote geocaching? Geocaching NSW's mission it to enhance and improve the activity of geocaching through increased awareness, communication and cooperation. The association holds regular events where members can come together and enjoy their common interest. Why not become a member today?? A link to the website can be found here.