The area of Eastwood is thought to have an association with coal mining for some 700 years up until 1985 when mining in the area ceased with the closure of Moorgreen pit.
The mine in Brinsley stopped production in 1934 when the coal reserves were exhausted. The mine shafts remained open for another 36 years to provide access to neighbouring pits.
The Headstocks were removed from the site in 1970 after 98 years in service and taken to the National Coal Museum at Retford. They were returned and re-erected on the original site in 1991 when the Coal Museum closed. The site then became, along with the old mineral railway line, a picnic and leisure site.