Skip to Content

This cache has been archived.

btreviewer: Esta cache foi arquivada por falta de uma resposta atempada e/ou adequada perante as situações relatadas. Relembro a secção das guidelines sobre a manutenção http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#cachemaintenance :

[quote]
Você é responsável por visitas ocasionais à sua geocache para assegurar que está tudo em ordem para funcionar, especialmente quando alguém reporta um problema com a geocache (desaparecimento, estrago, humidade/infiltrações, etc.), ou faz um registo "Precisa de Manutenção". Desactive temporariamente a sua geocache para que os outros saibam que não devem procurar a geocache até que tenha resolvido o problema. É-lhe concedido um período razoável de tempo - geralmente até 4 semanas - dentro do qual deverá verificar o estado da sua geocache. Se a geocache não estiver a receber a manutenção necessária ou estiver temporariamente desactivada por um longo período de tempo, poderemos arquivar a página da geocache.

Por causa do esforço requerido para manter uma geocache, por favor coloque geocaches físicas no seu espaço habitual de geocaching e não em sítios para onde costuma viajar. Geocaches colocadas durante viagens não serão muito provavelmente publicadas a menos que possa fornecer um plano de manutenção adequado. Este plano deve permitir uma resposta rápida a problemas reportados, e deverá incluir o Nome de Utilizador de um geocacher local que irá tomar conta dos problemas de manutenção na sua ausência. [/quote]

Como owner, se tiver planos para recolocar a cache, por favor, contacte-me por [url=http://www.geocaching.com/email/?u=btreviewer]e-mail[/url].

Lembro que a eventual reactivação desta cache passará pelo mesmo processo de análise como se fosse uma nova cache, com todas as implicações que as guidelines actuais indicam.

Se no local existe algum container, por favor recolha-o a fim de evitar que se torne lixo (geolitter).

Obrigado

[b] btreviewer [/b]
Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer

[url=http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=77][i][b]Work with the reviewer, not against him.[/b][/i][/url]

More
<

Elevador de Santa Justa

A cache by del7im Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 2/2/2013
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
1 out of 5

Size: Size: not chosen (not chosen)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Elevador de Santa Justa | Santa Justa Lift

PORTUGUÊS

 
O Elevador de Santa Justa, também referido como Elevador do Carmo, localiza-se na cidade de Lisboa, no distrito de mesmo nome, em Portugal. Liga a rua do Ouro e a rua do Carmo ao largo do Carmo e constitui-se num dos monumentos mais interessantes da Baixa de Lisboa.
A bilheteira localiza-se por trás da torre, sob os degraus da rua do Carmo. Os passageiros podem subir ou descer pelo elevador dentro de duas elegantes cabinas de madeira com acessórios de latão.
 
História
 
A estrutura, em estilo neogótico, foi construída na viragem do século XIX para o XX com projeto do engenheiro Raoul Mesnier du Ponsard, que também se responsabilizou por outros similares no país. Contrariando a afirmação popular, não está comprovada a ligação deste engenheiro a Gustave Eiffel. O que se sabe é que tanto Ponsard quanto o arquitecto francês Louis Reynaud aplicaram nestes elevadores algumas das técnicas e materiais já utilizados em França.
 
As obras ter-se-ão iniciado em 1898 e a sua inauguração ocorreu a 10 de julho de 1902 tendo, à época, sido apelidado de Ascensor Ouro-Carmo. Nos primeiros anos do seu funcionamento era movido a vapor, passando, a 6 de novembro de 1907 a ser acionado por energia elétrica. A diferença de nível entre o piso da estação inferior (Rua de Santa Justa, na Baixa) e o da superior (Rua do Carmo) é de trinta metros.
Foi considerada uma obra arrojada à época, atendendo ao desnível vencido, aos materiais utilizados e viadutos construídos, que possibilitaram os acessos à estação superior no Carmo. Atualmente constitui-se numa das estruturas mais visitadas na cidade, não apenas por portugueses mas, essencialmente, por turistas estrangeiros que procuram conhecer ambientes do passado (madeira e latão), processos mecânicos de transporte, e as soberbas vistas do piso superior sobre a cidade de Lisboa.
O dramático Incêndio do Chiado, que destruiu alguns dos edifícios daquela zona comercial em 1988, não afetou este elevador.
 
Características
 
Construído com o emprego do ferro, encontra-se decorado com rendilhados. O alto da torre, acedido por uma estreita escada em caracol, é ocupado por um café com esplêndidas vistas sobre o Rossio, a Baixa de Lisboa, o Castelo de São Jorge na colina oposta, o rio Tejo e as ruínas da Igreja do Convento do Carmo.
 
A Cache
 
Para descobrir as coordenadas finais da cache, calcule:
  • Quantos Watts correspondem 1 cavalo-vapor (hp), arredondado às unidades? (W)
  • Quantos Quilates correspondem a 45 gramas? (K)
  • Qual a altura da torre do elevador? (Y)
  • Qual lotação máxima do  elevador? (P)
  • Qual a tensão em volts do elevador? (V)
 
N [P+18]° [Y-3].[W-16]
W [54-Y]° [((V+W)/523)+6].(569-K)
 
 
 

ENGLISH

 
 
The Santa Justa Lift (Portuguese: Elevador de Santa Justa. also called Carmo Lift (Portuguese: Elevador do Carmo, is an elevator/lift in civil parish of Santa Justa, in the historical city of Lisbon, situated at the end of Rua de Santa Justa. It connects the lower streets of the Baixa with the higher Largo do Carmo (Carmo Square.)
 
The hills of Lisbon have always presented a problem for accessibility, especially in a time when people were required to move on foot or being pulled by horse (or other animal). In 1874, in order to facilitate the movement between the main Baixa and the Carmo Square, the civil and military engineer Roberto Arménio presented a project to the Lisbon municipal council. A similar project was suggested in 1876, that included raillines that would be pulled by animals, with an inclined plane. Until 1785, this system continued to function in the zone around Carmo.
 
On 1 June 1882, the council licensed Raul Mesnier to construct and explore alternative plans for an inclined transport, moved by mechanical means, following a petition a month before by founder and representative of the Companhia dos Ascensores Mecânicos de Lisboa.
 
The Santa Justa Lift was designed by Raul Mesnier du Ponsard, an engineer born in Porto to French parents. In 1896, Raul Mesnier petitoned for the concession of this project, in order to establish the Escadinhas de Santa Justa, a request that was contested by Henry Lusseau. At the same time, the Serviços de Obras da Câmara (Municipal Public Services) supported Mesnier's petition, and the concession to authorize the construction and exploration of the Raul Mesnier du Ponsard Elevator was approved. Yet, it would take two years to receive a provisionary license to construct the structure. In 1899, the Empresa do Elevador do Carmo (Company of the Elevator of Carmo) was founded (constituted by principal partners Raul Mesnier du Ponsard, medical surgeon João Silvestre de Almeida and the Marquess of Praia e Monforte, António Borges de Medeiros Dias da Câmara e Sousa) in order to secure the permanent concession of the elevator project for a period of 99 years.
 
In 1900, the formal contract was signed between the Municipal Council of Lisbon and the Empresa do Elevador do Carmo (extinct in 1939), on which the working group was obligated to present a project for an elevator in a period of six months; planning on the construction had already begun with the Lisbon branch of the metal constructors Cardoso D'Argent & Cia. (founded in 1897) in Junqueira[disambiguation needed]. The founder, Manuel Cardoso, had already been placed in charge of the offices of firm Empresa Industrial Portuguesa and responsible for the workers in the Elevador de Santa Justa project. By the middle of the year, the land that would be the main site was already in movement, establishing the footings and equipment house (2 June of the same year).
 
On 31 August 1901, King Carlos inaugurates the metal bridge and awning, in a ceremony that included members of the royal family, the members of the Elevator company, Raul Mesnier du Ponsard, and various members of the high nobility and journalists. Yet, its operation would wait some time: the operating car, was only inaugurated in 1902, in the presence of the managing director of the concessionary company, Dr. Silvestre de Almeida, accompanied by journalists and other invited guests, in a ceremony presided by the Secretary-General of the Civil Government.
 
The operating concession was given to the company Lisbon Electric Tramway Ltd. in 1905. Originally powered by steam, it was converted to electrical operation in 1907, and the respective concessionary company would buy the Elevator in 1913, from the Empresa do Elevador do Carmo.
 
Republic
 
In 1943, the Lisbon Electric Tramway Ltd. solicited the city council to authorize the transfer of the elevator to the Companhia da Carris. The process was approved, under the condition that its operation should be integrated into the transport network, with the Companhia da Carris as the principal.
 
By 1973, a contract was signed between the municipal council of Lisbon, the Companhia da Carris and the Lisbon Electric Tramway Ltd., transferring the Elevator definitively into the city's historical tram network.
 
In July 2002, the Santa Justa Elevator celebrated its first centenary; it along with the three remaining cable railways of Lavra, Glória and Bica were classified as National Monuments that year.
 
After remodelling and renovation, on February 2006, the Elevator walkway was reopened for the general public and tourists.
 
Architecture
 
It is included on the historical guides of Lisbon, within the Pombaline Baixa area isolated between several older historical buildings in the quarter. It is situated in the Escadinhas de Santa Justa which connects the Baixa to the Rua do Carmo. The Escadinhas are actually part of the northeastern urban wall of the Baixa and west of the Rua de Santa Justa. Access is established by the elevator to many of the important zones of the city. To the north, towards the Rossio (Praça D. Pedro V and Avenida da Liberdade); to the south, the Praça do Comércio and the river zone; while in the upper zone, there are access to the Largo do Carmo, the Trindade, Church of São Roque and the Bairro Alto quarter. In addition, the panormaic views allow glimpses of the Castle of São Jorge, the Tagus River, the lower part of the Pombaline Baixa, the National Theatre D. Maria II, while the upper entrance permits a view of the ruins of the Monastery of Nossa Senhora do Vencimento do Monte do Carmo.
 
The Elevator is a vertical structure, developed along the Rua de Santa Justa, consisting of a metallic tower, observation platform, walkway and base. Its base includes four vertical columns, each composed of two pillars. The largest part of the structure runs parallel to the Rua de Santa Justa. With a height of 45 metres, covering seven stories, the tower includes two elevator cabins, decorated in wood, mirrors and windows, and an initial capacity for 24 passengers in each (updated to 29 people later). The structure includes a dozen transverse beams, forming a double lattice, supported at the top by foundations at the Escadinhas de Santa Justa. On the sides of the elevator, the walkway is articulated by means of bearings, as well as on the pillars, which is articulated at the base.
 
On the top floor is a kiosk and lookout, with panoramic views of the city, while connections to the floors below are made (in addition to the elevator) by two spiral staircases, with different patterns on each storey. The main machinery was installed at the base of the Elevator, while at the exit to the Largo do Carmo there is a veranda to allow circulation. The corridor that passes above the structure, was transformed into a terrace, and exits to Largo do Carmo through an iron gate. The space destined the electrical equipment was located under the Escadinhas, in a space set aside for this purpose, under a vaulted ceiling.
 
The Lift is decorated in a Neo-Gothic style in iron. Since this was a new material at the time of its construction, it is symbolic of the technical and memorial construction from this period, representing the culture of the 1900s, when the structure and elevators were considered a magical innovation and portent of a modern age.
 
The Cache
 
To find the final coordinates of the cache, calculate:
  • How many Watts are in 1 Horsepower (hp) (W)
  • How many Carats are in 45 grams? (K)
  • What is the hight of the tower of the lift (Y)
  • What is the maximum capacity (passangers) of the lift  (P)
  • What is the voltage of the lift? (V)
 
N [P+18]° [Y-3].[W-16]
W [54-Y]° [((V+W)/523)+6].(569-K)
 

 

Additional Hints (Decrypt)

J+X+L+C+I é qvivfíiry cbe 167
J+X+L+C+I vf qvivfvoyr ol 167

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



 

Find...

130 Logged Visits

Found it 95     Didn't find it 13     Write note 14     Archive 1     Temporarily Disable Listing 2     Enable Listing 1     Publish Listing 1     Owner Maintenance 2     Post Reviewer Note 1     

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 10 images

**Warning! Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

Current Time:
Last Updated:
Rendered From:Unknown
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

Return to the Top of the Page

Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.