A TALE OF TWO MILLS - LANGLEY LOOP (8)
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This is a traditional cache. 35mm film canister.
Clavering North Mill.© Copyright Nigel Cox and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Clavering South Mill. © Copyright Robert Edwards and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
On the road out of Clavering, Essex towards Langley Lower Green, you will see two Windmills : they are a pair of Grade II listed Tower mills which have both been converted to residential use. They are named North Mill and South Mill. A third mill existed in Clavering until the mid 19th century, known as Clavering Mill. This was a Post mill and was marked on a map dated c.1625. White’s Directory of 1848 records three millers in Clavering, the last date at which the post mill can be assumed to have been standing. The North Mill was built for James Pavitt in 1811, working in conjunction with the post mill until 1845. A 16 HP (12kW) oil engine was installed in 1919 by Thomas Hunt, the Soham millwright. The sails were removed about this time, but the mill worked by the engine for many years. It is a five storey tower mill with a beehive cap, winded by a fantail. It had four single patent sails, which rotated clockwise. The Upright Shaft is wooden, as is the clasp arm Great Spur Wheel, which drove three pairs of millstones overdrift. The South Mill was built in 1757 and was idle in 1906. However, it was put back to work by its new owner, William Caton and worked by wind until Autumn 1919 with the sails being removed the following spring. No auxiliary power was provided so the mill worked by wind alone. This is a four storey tower mill with a beehive cap with a gallery. It was winded by a fantail and had four single spring sails. The mill drove two pairs of French Burr millstones. We have lived in the area for 30 odd years and pass by the Mills most days. Our granddaughter calls them the rockets. They can be seen from some distance away, especially on the Pelham Road – real landmarks. The Cache is sited between the two mills. It is a cache and dash. Thanks for visiting and good luck.