What Is This
In Wisconsin, United States
Size:  (not chosen)
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
For me, this is a great example of roadside earth science.
You should see the caste of a fossil cephalopod at GZ. Wisconsin was once covered by oceans. This was about 500 million years ago. Cephalopods were once one of the dominant life forms in the world's oceans. Some current relatives of ancient cephalopods are the chambered nautilus and squids.
Prior to logging this cache, email the answers to the following:
1. Why is this fossil caste exposed?
2. Estimate how high this fossil caste is.
3. Estimate how long this caste is.
4. Do you see evidence of chambers?
5. Give another example of a modern day cephalopod.
6. Optional: email a picture of this fossil caste.
7. Bonus: Why is something 500 million years old so near the top of the soil?
(No hints available.)
Last Updated: on 07/04/2016 16:09:04 Pacific Daylight Time (23:09 GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum