In Iowa, United States
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
Cache is located on a busy street so stealth and timing will be required. Cache contains a log only so bring your own pen or pencil.
The building next to where the cache has been hidden has had a very interesting history. Below is an excerpt of the history taken from http://www.sistersofthevisitationdbq.org/History/History.html
Archbishop Hennessy purchased the General Jones mansion at the corner of what is now University and Alta Vista for a new academy and convent. On January 3, 1879, the Sisters transferred to their new home and the “Academy on the Hill” was opened. In 1884, 1886 and 1889 other “wings” were added to the structure. In 1906, much to the regret of the Sisters, the historic Jones mansion had to be razed to make room for another large addition to the academy called the “South Wing”. and the sisters lived in the buildings which housed students .
On the night of June 30, 1936, one of the most disastrous fires in the history of Dubuque broke out in one of the older sections of the Academy. It was about ten o’clock at night when most of the Sisters had retired. The fire, probably caused by defective wiring, raged through the buildings, burning a four- story wing completely to the ground and destroying the two upper stories of an adjacent wing which held the chapel and the school library. The fire burned all night. The fire was extinguished as it reached the chapel’s water-soaked ceiling. As soon as possible the work of reclamation began with “all hands” assisting removing chemical stains from woodwork, walls and furniture. However the school opened on September 8, right on schedule with very little lessening of registrants. The former chapel was divided into four home rooms, and all other departments,occupying smaller areas, were continued. Thousands of books, two baby grand pianos, and musical instruments were given to the school. Friends and business men in the city collected funds for the renovation of the building.
After 1960, it became evident to the Sisters that they must consider further expansion and modernization of their physical plant and educational facilities in order to cope with larger enrollments .A new academic building was built adjoining the existing academy on the north. The most modern equipment for the departments of science, art, business education, guidance, language laboratory, cafeteria and administrative facilities were installed.
In the late 1960’s, due to the decline in the number of sisters, the increased costs, and establishment of a central Catholic high school, private high schools began to close. The last class to graduate from the Visitation Academy was in 1970. The sisters then went to teach in other Catholic schools or became involved in other church ministries. The Sisters continued to live on Alta Vista Street and shared their convent with sisters of other communities until 1994 when the property was sold to Loras College.
The buildings are now used for housing for Loras College students.
(No hints available.)
Last Updated: on 10/21/2016 21:19:14 Pacific Daylight Time (04:19 GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum