Fort Casey State Park Overview:
Fort Casey State Park is a 467-acre marine camping park with a lighthouse and sweeping views of Admiralty Inlet and the Strait of Juan de Fuca. A coast artillery post features two 10-inch and two 3-inch historic guns on display. The park features 10,810 feet of saltwater shoreline on Puget Sound (Admiralty Inlet), and includes Keystone Spit, a two-mile-plus stretch of land separating Admiralty Inlet and Crocket Lake.
Park open year round 8 a.m. to dusk. Winter: The picnic area of the park closes Oct. 1, reopens April 30.
Check-out time, 1 p.m. Quiet hours: 10 p.m. to 6:30 a.m.
The park is the site of Admiralty Head Lighthouse and a coastal artillery post that features four historic guns on display. The park offers spectacular views of Admiralty Inlet and the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
In 1858, the U.S. government purchased ten acres of land costing $400 for the construction of Admiralty Head Lighthouse. In 1890, the army took over the premises. It named its garrison "Fort Casey" in honor of Brigadier General Thomas Lincoln Casey, the last U.S. Army chief of engineers. At that time, Fort Casey which was in union with Fort Worden and Fort Flagler, was said to comprise a "triangle of fire" guarding the entrance to Puget Sound. When the fort was constructed, the old lighthouse had to be moved. A new lighthouse was built on the present site in 1903. Today the Admiralty Head Lighthouse at Fort Casey serves as a historic landmark and interpretive center. The park was incorporated into Ebey's Landing National Historic Reserve in 1980. In Aug. 2012, a newly constructed and historically accurate lantern house was installed at Admiralty Head Lighthouse. A result of years of community partnerships and student volunteer work from three Whidbey Island high schools, the lantern house was dedicated in Sept. 2012.
Interpretive panels in Admiralty Head Lighthouse tell the history of the area around Fort Casey State Park. The story begins with a brief cultural history about the Native American nations from the area, and then leads the reader forward through time to the first pioneer settlers, the building of the Red Bluff Lighthouse and the construction of Fort Casey.
Volunteers with the Fort Casey Volunteer Battalion lead guided tours of the gun batteries at Fort Casey State Park. The 45-minute tours are at 1 p.m. Friday through Sunday and also 2:30 p.m. Sunday, from May 18 through Sept. 14. Meet at the kiosk between Battery Worth and the parking lot. Tours also are offered on July 4 and Sept. 3. For more information, call +1 (360) 678-4519 or go to their website.
The location of this cache is in an area of the park called "Backyard Composting". Here you can learn about several ways that you can do backyard composting. I hope you take the time to enjoy this fun area of the park. It's near the lighthouse, which has a wonderful view of Puget Sound.
- This geocache has an approved Permit to be placed at this location on property managed by the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission. Visitors are responsible for acquainting themselves with policies and rules pertaining to State Parks areas.
- The following items may not be placed in the geocache: food, illegal substances, medications, personal hygiene products, pornographic materials, hazardous materials, or weapons of any type.
- By searching for the cache, visitors agree that they are responsible for their own actions, and acknowledge that neither the State of Washington nor the cache owner is responsible for any loss or injury that may occur in relation to such search.
- Report any incident, problem, or violation to State Parks staff.