Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.
Map Geek 05: The Big "O" Goes Hollywood!
How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The Map Geek series of geocaches is for all my fellow map nerds in the caching community. All will (hopefully) have fun finding the cache. Those of you who find the map oddities and fun facts appealing, please feel free to discuss that in your cache log, adding comments, corrections and opinions as you wish. Anybody know where Fred Astaire's childhood home is?
New location, micro container, BYOP. Busy and muggly at times, this is a different spot in Omaha movie history from the map. Classic "stop and tie your shoes" grab. A log-rolling TOTT will come in handy.
1) A special Oscar honoring best actor winner Spencer Tracy’s portrayal of Fr. Flanagan in Boys Town (1938, Mickey Rooney) has been on display for several decades in the Boys Town Hall of History.
2) Papillion-La Vista High School is where Election (1999, Matthew Broderick, Reese Witherspoon) was filmed.
3) A scene in To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar (1995, Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes) was filmed at the New Tower Inn / Lazy Leopard Lounge here, now demolished.
4) The Omaha Community Playhouse is where Henry Fonda (Mr. Roberts, The Grapes of Wrath), Marlon Brando (On the Waterfront, The Godfather) and Dorothy McGuire (Gentleman’s Agreement, The Spiral Staircase) all made their acting debuts.
5) Henry Fonda Drive.
6) Benson High School, where Omaha native Nick Nolte (48 HRS., The Deep) attended.
7) The dumpster behind what is now Beer & Loathing in Dundee is where Laura Dern misbehaves in Citizen Ruth (1996, Swoosie Kurtz, Burt Reynolds, Mary Kay Place).
8) A pond named after Omaha native Gabrielle Union (Bring It On, Deliver Us From Eva) is in Adams Park. Union comes back to Omaha often for Native Omaha Days.
9) The Delmar Hotel, now demolished, was filmed for The Indian Runner (1991, David Morse, Viggo Mortensen).
10) The Paramount Theater (now the Rose Blumkin Theater) was one of three local theaters hosting the simultaneous world premiere of Union Pacific (1939, Joel McCrea, Barbara Stanwyck). McCrea, Stanwyck and director Cecil B. DeMille were in attendance. The other two theaters were the Omaha and the Orpheum.
11) The Woodmen of the World building features prominently in About Schmidt (2002, Jack Nicholson, Hope Davis, Kathy Bates).
12) The Orpheum Theater also hosted a special premiere screening of On Golden Pond (1981, Henry Fonda, Katharine Hepburn, Jane Fonda). Stars Jane Fonda, Dabney Coleman and Doug McKeon were in attendance. (The CO was in the audience.)
13) Among many other local sites, a scene for Lovely, Still (2008, Martin Landau, Ellen Burstyn) was filmed at the Durham Western Heritage Museum.
14) The Lied Jungle at the Henry Doorly Zoo was used in a scene in Lucky (2011, Colin Hanks, Ann-Margret).
15) Eppley Airfield was filmed for a scene in Up in the Air (2009, George Clooney, Vera Farmiga).
Sources: IMDB, Nebraska Film Commission, Wikipedia. Mapmaking tools: OpenStreetMap, GSAK, BaseCamp, GIMP.
For the truly map-obsessed, there's information about the map sources (and tools used to create the new maps) at the WBs geocaching blog. Use the "Related Web Page" link above.
(No hints available.)
Loading Cache Logs...
Last Updated: on 2/3/2017 1:20:55 PM (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada) (9:20 PM GMT)
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum