Skip to content


The Great War : Saint-Georges 1918

A cache by Merel for TGW2014 Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 05/26/2013
1.5 out of 5
2 out of 5

Size: Size:   regular (regular)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!


How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:

Cache placed as teaser for the Mega Event The Great War 2014 in Belgium. This event takes place on may 29th till May, 31st 2014. Location : De Dreve, Zonnebeke (near Ypres, Belgium). Follow the preparations on the Facebook group TGW14.

Saint Georges 1918

"Overview after the attack"

[ENGLISH] - [Nederlands] - [Français]


Saint Georges Day 1918

It was Saint Georges in 1918.
Sir Roger Keyes, vice-admiral of the British navy, conceived the daring plan to attempt to block the port of Zeebrugge. By doing this he could prevent the German U-boats from sailing out. These U-boats operated from Bruges.
Alluding to the patron saint of soldiers and England, Saint Georges, Sir Roger Keyes launched a memorable achievement with the following metaphor: "Let's give the dragon's tail a damned good twist!" On April 22, 1918 Admiral Keyes took command of a fleet of 168 ships and a force of 1,800 men.

The ships

In all there were seventy-eight craft of varying sizes engaged at Zeebrugge.
The "HMS Daffodil" and "HMS Iris II" were ships that served on the River Mersey. They were requisitioned for war service by the Royal Navy and were specially used for the Zeebrugge Raid. "HMS Vindictive" escorted them across the channel to Zeebrugge. In preparation for the raid, all furniture and fittings were stripped and armour fitted to the superstructure. The ferries were chosen because of their shallow draught and double hulls. The "HMS Iris II" and "HMS Daffodil" returned to the Mersey on 17 May 1918, to a heroes welcome. After repairs at Chatham, both vessels returned to service on the Mersey

"HMS Vindictive" was a British protected cruiser of the Arrogant class built at Chatham Dockyard. Early in 1918 she was fitted out for the Zeebrugge Raid. Most of her guns were replaced by howitzers, flame-throwers and mortars. During the action, her upperworks were badly damaged by gunfire. The "HMS Vindictive" was later used as a blockship at Ostend during the Second Ostend Raid on 10 May 1918. The wreck was raised on 16 August 1920 and subsequently broken up. The bow section has been preserved in Ostend serving as a memorial.

"HMS C3" under Lieut. A.C Newbold and "HMS C1" under Lieut. R.D. Sandford were old British C class submarine built by Vickers, Barrow-in-Furness. They had a crew of volunteers on board. "HMS Thetis" was an Apollo-class cruiser of the Royal Navy dating from 1890.

"HMS Vindictve"

The attack

The "HMS Vindictive" Vindictive was to land a force of 200 Royal Marines at the entrance to the Bruges Canal to destroy the German artillery. When approaching Zeebrugge Mole, the two ferries parted from the "HMS Vindictive". A smokescreen would hide the ships from view. The "HMS Iris II" managed to moor at the mole. The first attempt failed by failing grappling hooks. Two navy officers, George Nicholson Bradford and Lieutenant Hawkins boldly climbed ashore and were able to secure the ship safely. Both were killed. An officer, Lieutenant William. E. Sillitoe died probably in the same action. Together with another fallen, Private J. Bostock, he was buried in Hamilton Road Cemetery, Deal, Kent. The Marines then attacked the mole. The Germans defended themselves fiercely: sailor Hermann Künne, from the destroyer S53, to attacked the leader of the Marines with a knife. He stabbed him, but was himself shot. However, at the time of the landing the winds changed and the planned smoke-screen to cover the ship proved ineffective. The marines, whose objective was to destroy German gun positions, immediately came under heavy fire and suffered heavy casualties. The submarine 'HMS C3 "and" HMS C1" had 5 tons amatol into their fore-ends and were to be driven into the viaduct and then blown up to prevent reinforcement of the German garrison on the mole. The crews were to abandon their submarines shortly before the collision with the viaduct, leaving the submarines to steer themselves automatically, but during the passage from Dover, C1 parted with her tow and consequently arrived too late to take part in the operation. Submarine 'HMS C3" destroyed the viaduct as planned, by explosion, blowing a hole of 150 feet.

While the German counterattack was focused on the attack with the "HMS Vindictive", the British used three cruisers from 1890 filled with cement: the "Intrepid", the "Thetis" and "Iphigenea" to sink them at the entrance of the canal to Bruges.The failure of the attack on the Zeebrugge mole resulted in heavy German fire on the three blocking ships. Thetis did not make it to the canal entrance, after it had hit an obstruction and was scuttled prematurely. The two other ships were sunk at the narrowest point of the canal.

"HMS Iphegenea & HMS Intrepid"

The blockships were not in the correct position when sunk and only managed to block the canal for a few days. The Germans removed two piers in the western bank of the canal, near the blockships, and created a channel through the silt near the blockships' sterns. They were thus able to move submarines past the blockships at high tide.The German submarines were thus be hampered by this stunt, but the operation failed really.

The dragon struggled briefly, but was not overcome.

Yet a French admiral extremely praised the action: "It's the most magnificent fact that history of all times and of all countries in the maritime field has produced".

Of the 1,700 men involved in the operation, 300 men were wounded while more than 200 were killed. Among those killed was Wing Commander Frank Arthur Brock, the man who devised and commanded the operation of the smoke screen. The Zeebrugge Raid was promoted by Allied propaganda as a key British victory and resulted in the awarding of eight Victoria Crosses. To commemorate the brave attempt of Vice-Admiral Keyes and to honour the 200 victims who fell, each year on April 23, or on the Sunday closest to April 23 Saint Georges Day is celebrated in Zeebrugge.

The balance

Great Britain
227 dead
356 wounded
1 destroyer sunk

8 dead
16 wounded

Admiral Keyes Memorial Saint Georges Day

The monument consists of fragments of the pier at which the ship "Vindictive" crashed during the raid: two stones placed on each other. At the top is a bronze palm confirmed that the City of Bruges donated to Admiral Keyes marked "CITY BRUGES. COMMEMORATION OF 23 APRIL 1918

Deutscher Ehrenfriedhof Zeebrügge nr. 184

The German cemeteries of Langemarck, Vladslo, Hooglede Menen and are well known to the public. Less known is that there is also a German military cemetery in Zeebrugge: the "Deutscher Ehrenfriedhof Zeebrügge No 184". The cemetery contains graves of German and English sailors (and an 'airman') who died in the First World War. More specifically casualties of April 23, 1918 are buried here. In addition, the entire crew of some torpedoboats: the S15 and S20 (June 5, 1917) are also burried here in a mass grave. Furthermore, there are also, strange but true, 44 Germans who died in a car accident on September 26, 1915. here are seven Germans and 14 Brittish soldiers buried who fell at Saint Georges Day.

"German graves on the cemetery"


At the end of the walk You can enjoy the beautiful view on the old lighthouse at the end of the pier as it was in the year 1918. There is now a completely new dam stretching out for three miles into the sea, making the old one unrecognizable. Only the old lighthouse has been preserved as a memento of the attack on Zeebrugge in 1918. Enjoy a moment of the traffic of container ships, pleasure boats and naval vessels.

Saint Georges Memorial

The memorial is conceived as triptych and made of concrete, with a light projecting frame. It is composed of multiple plaques, recalling the events of Saint Georges Day. The central plate was part of the former Saint Georges Memorial that was established after 1942 by honorary mayor Van Damme with private funds. The memorial was demolished during the construction of the new port channel. The bronze sword against the back of the stone was probably incorporated into the monument near the St. Donaskerk, commemorating the civil and military victims of the municipality. The memorial was already a replacement of an earlier statue unveiled on April 24, 1924, a memorial column with the "copper" statue of Saint Georges with the dragon. The column was of granite, with a height of about 21m. The first stone took place on April 22, 1923. That building was demolished in 1942, the statue was taken to Germany and the stone blocks were later used for a new monument.

On this memorial starts the new Saint Georges Day walk on the western breakwater at Zeebrugge. Through this promenade, which is four meters wide, the walkers walk into the sea. Two large viewing platforms with customized seating offer a fantastic view of the surroundings.

Your mission

Find on each of the four waypoints a tag with partial information on the cache.

[English] - [NEDERLANDS] - [Français]


Saint Georges Day 1918

Het was op Sint-Joris 1918. Sir Roger Keyes, vice-admiraal van de Britse oorlogsvloot, vatte het vermetele plan op om een poging te doen om de haven van Zeebrugge te versperren en zo de U-boten te verhinderen uit te varen. Deze opereerden vanuit de Brugse binnenhaven. Zinspelend op de patroonheilige van de krijgslieden én van Engeland, Sint-Joris ( die een draak zou overwonnen hebben ) gaf Sir Roger Keyes de aanzet tot een memorabel wapenfeit met volgende metafoor: "Let’s give the dragon’s tail a damned good twist!" Op 22 april 1918 nam admiraal Keyes het bevel over een vloot van 168 schepen en een troepenmacht van 1.800 man.

De schepen

De "HMS Daffodil" en de "HMS Iris II" waren schepen die dienst deden op de River Mersey. Ze werden opgeëist door de Royal Navy om deel uit te maken van de Zeebrugge Raid. Ze werden door de "HMS Vindictive" begeleid over het kanaal naar Zeebrugge. In voorbereiding voor de raid werden de schepen gestript en van bewapening voorzien op de bovenstructuur. De ferries werden uitgekozen omwille van hun geringe diepgang en dubbele romp. De HMS Iris II en de HMS Daffodil keerden na de aanval terug naar de Mersey op 17 Mei 1918 waar ze als helden werden onthaald. Na herstellingen in Chatham, keerden ze terug in dienst op de Mersey.

"HMS Vindictive" was een kruiser van de Arrogant klasse gebouwd op Chatham Dockyard. In begin 1918 werd ze uitgerust voor de Zeebrugge Raid. Het grootste deel van het geschut werd vervangen door howitzers, vlammenwerpers en mortieren. Tijdens de actie werd de opbouw serieus beschadigd door beschietingen. De "HMS Vindictive" werd later gebruikt tijdens de tweede aanval op Oostende en daar in de vaargeul tot zinken gebracht op 10 mei 1918. Het wrak werd gelicht op 16 augustus 1920 en in stukken verdeeld. De boeg staat nu op de zeedijk in Oostende als gedenkteken.

"HMS C3" onder Lieut. A.C Newbold en "HMS C1" onder Lieut. R.D. Sandford waren oude Britse C klasse onderzeeërs gebouwd door Vickers, Barrow-in-Furness. Ze hadden een bemanning van vrijwillgers aan boord "HMS Thetis" was een Apollo-klasse kruiser of the Royal Navy daterend van 1890.

"Plan of the attack"

De aanval

De "HMS Vindictive" moest 200 mariniers afzetten aan de monding van het kanaal naar Brugge om de Duitse artillerie onschadelijk te maken. Bij het naderen van Zeebrugge Mole werden de twee ferries langszij de "HMS Vindictive" gehaald. Een rookgordijn zou het schip aan het zicht onttrekken. De "HMS Iris II" slaagde erin om aan te meren aan de mole. De eerste poging faalden de enterhaken maar twee navy officieren, George Nicholson Bradford en Lieutenant Hawkins klommen moedig aan wal en konden het schip veilig zekeren. Beiden sneuvelden. Een officier, Lieutenant William. E. Sillitoe sneuvelde waarschijnlijk in dezelfde actie. Samen met een andere gesneuvelde, Private J. Bostock, werd hij begraven in Hamilton Road Cemetery, Deal, Kent. De mariniers bestormden de havendam om het Duitse zwaar geschut uit te schakelen.De Duitsers verweerden zich heftig: zo ging de matroos Hermann Künne van de torpedoboot S53 de leider van de mariniers met een mes te lijf. Hij stak hem neer, maar werd zelf neergeschoten. De wind draaide en het rookgordijn waaide weg. De mariniers kwamen onder Duits vuur en sneuvelden bij bosjes. De duikboten "HMS C3" en "HMS C1" hadden 5 ton amatol aan boord in hun voorsteven en werden naar het viaduct gestuurd om dat op te blazen en zo Duitse versterking op de Mole tegen te houden. De bemanningen moesten de boot verlaten kort voor de aanvaring en de boot op zijn eigen laten doorvaren. De "HMS C1" kwam echter bij het oversteken van het kanaal los van zijn sleepboot en kwam te laat voor de actie. Duikboot "HMS C3" kon wel het viaduct naar de golfbreker opblazen en had een gat geslagen van 150 voet.

Terwijl de Duitse tegenaanval zich op de aanval met de "HMS Vindictive" concentreerde, brachten de Britten drie kruisers uit 1890 gevuld met cement : de "Intrepid", de "Thetis" en de "Iphigenea", tot zinken voor de sluisdeur. De bedoeling was om ze in de vaargeul tot zinken te brengen en zo die havengeul te blokkeren. Na de mislukte aanval op de havendam kwamen de drie schepen onder zwaar Duits vuur te liggen. De "Thetis" bereikte niet de vaargeul maar liep op een zandbank en werd te vroeg tot zinken gebracht. De twee andere schepen bereikten wel het kanaal, maar zonken niet op de juiste plaats.

De Duitsers verwijderden twee pieren, zodat de Duitse duikboten al twee dagen later bij hoog tij langs de blokkerende schepen konden varen. De Duitse onderzeeërs werden dus door deze stunt wel tijdelijk gehinderd, maar de operatie slaagde niet echt.

De draak spartelde even, maar werd niet overwonnen.

Toch liet een Franse admiraal zich uiterst lovend uit over deze onderneming: "Het is het schitterendste wapenfeit dat de geschiedenis van alle tijden en van alle landen op maritiem gebied heeft opgeleverd".

Van de 1700 Britten lieten 200 het leven, waaronder commandant Frank Arthur Bock, de man die het rookgordijn bedacht en uitvoerde.Voor de nachtelijke acties werden in totaal 8 Victoria Crosses uitgereikt. Om de moedige poging van vice-admiraal Keyes te herdenken en om hulde te brengen aan de zowat 200 slachtoffers die toen vielen, wordt elk jaar op 23 april of - indien 23 april niet op een zondag valt - op de zondag het dichtst bij 23 april Saint Georges Day gevierd in Zeebrugge.

"HMS Iphegenea & HMS Intrepid"

De balans

227 doden
356 gewonden
1 destroyer gezonken

8 doden
16 gewonden

(Bron: (saint))
(Bron: (1897))

Gedenkteken Admiraal Keyes Saint Georges Day

Het monument bestaat uit fragmenten van de havendam waartegen het schip "Vindictive" botste tijdens de raid : twee op mekaar geplaatste stenen. Aan de bovenste is een bronzen palm bevestigd die de Stad Brugge schonk aan admiraal Keyes met het opschrift "STAD BRUGGE. HERDENKING AAN 23 APRIL 1918

"Admiral Keyes Memorial"

(Bron : )

Deutscher Ehrenfriedhof Zeebrügge nr. 184

De Duitse kerkhoven van Langemark, Vladslo, Hooglede en Menen zijn goed bekend bij het publiek. Minder geweten is dat er ook in Zeebrugge een Duits militair kerkhof ligt : het "Deutscher Ehrenfriedhof Zeebrügge nr. 184". Het kerkhof bevat graven van Duitse én Engelse matrozen ( en een 'airman' ) die in de eerste wereldoorlog sneuvelden. Meer bepaald gesneuvelden van 23 april 1918 liggen hier begraven. Daarnaast ook de volledige bemanningen van enkele torpedoboten : de S15 en S20 ( 5 juni 1917 ) in een massagraf. Verder liggen er ook ook, raar maar waar, 44 Duisters die omkwamen bij een tramongeval op 26 september 1915. Van de gevechten op Saint Georges Day liggen er 7 Duitsers en 14 Britten begraven.

(Bron: )

Uitzichtspunt Haven

Op het uiteinde van de wandelsteiger heeft men hier een mooi zicht op de oude vuurtoren die op het uiteinde van de havendam stond anno 1918. Er is nu een volledig nieuwe havendam die tot 3 km ver de zee instrekt, waarin de oude niet meer te herkennen is. Alleen de oude vuurtoren is bewaard gebleven als aandenken aan de aanval op Zeebrugge in 1918. Geniet hier even van de drukte rond de containerschepen, pleziervaartuigen en marine schepen.

Saint Georges Memorial

Het gedenkteken is opgevat als drieluik en uitgevoerd in beton, met licht vooruitspringende omlijsting. Het is samengesteld uit meerdere gedenkplaten, die werden samengevoegd en die herinneren aan de oorlogsgebeurtenissen van Saint Georges Day. De centrale plaat vormde een onderdeel van het vroegere Saint Georges Memorial dat na 1942 werd opgericht door ere-burgemeester Van Damme met privé-gelden. Het gedenkteken werd afgebroken bij de bouw van de nieuwe havengeul. Het bronzen zwaard dat tegen de achterzijde van de steen was bevestigd, werd naar alle waarschijnlijkheid ingewerkt in het monument voor de Sint-Donaskerk dat opgericht werd voor de burgerlijke en de militaire slachtoffers van de gemeente. De gedenksteen was reeds een vervanging van een vroegere op 24 april 1924 onthulde gedenkzuil met het "koperen" standbeeld van Saint Georges met de draak. De zuil was van graniet, met een hoogte van ca. 21m. De eerstesteenlegging gebeurde op 22 april 1923. Dat monument werd afgebroken in 1942, het beeld werd meegevoerd naar Duitsland en de hardstenen blokken werden later voor een nieuw monument gebruikt. Aan dit memorial start ook de vernieuwde Saint Georges Day wandeling op de westelijke havendam in Zeebrugge die er best mag wezen. Via deze promenade, die vier meter breed is vindt de wandelaar weer aansluiting met de zee. Twee grote uitkijkplatforms met aangepast zitmeubilair bieden een fantastisch zicht op de omgeving.

(Bron : )

Uw missie

Vind op elk van de vier waypoints een tag met gedeeltelijke info over de cache.

[English] - [Nederlands] - [FRANCAIS]


Saint Georges Day 1918

C'est à Saint Georges en 1918. Sir Roger Keyes, vice-amiral de la marine britannique, a conçu le plan audacieux pour tenter de bloquer le port de Zeebrugge, empêchant ainsi les sous-marins Allemands de partir. Les sous-marins étaient basés dans le port de Bruges. Faisant allusion au saint patron des soldats et de l'Angleterre, Saint George Sir Roger Keyes a lancé une réalisation mémorable avec la métaphore suivante: «Donnons la queue du dragon une bonne tournure maudit!" Le 22 avril 22 l'amiral Keyes a pris le commandement d'une flotte de 168 navires et une force de 1800 marins.

"Flyer remembering the attack"

Les navires

Le "HMS Daffodil" et "HMS Iris II" étaient des navires qui ont servi sur la rivière Mersey. Ils ont été revendiqués par la Royal Navy d'utiliser le Raid de Zeebrugge. Partie Ils étaient le "HMS Vindictive" traîné à travers le canal à Zeebrugge. En préparation pour le raid des navires ont été dépouillés de l'armement et montés sur la structure supérieure. Les ferries ont été choisis en raison de leur faible tirant d'eau et double coque. Le "HMS Iris II" et le "HMS Daffodil" retournés après l'attaque revenir à la Mersey sur 17 mai 1918 où ils furent accueillis comme des héros. Après des réparations à Chatham, ils sont retournés en service sur la Mersey.

"HMS Vindictive" était un croiseur de la classe Arrogant construit au chantier naval de Chatham. Au début de 1918, elle a été équipée pour le raid de Zeebrugge. La plupart des armes ont été remplacés par des obusiers, mortiers et lance-flammes. Pendant l'action, le bâtiment était gravement endommagé par les bombardements. Le "HMS Vindictive" a été utilisé plus tard au cours de la deuxième attaque sur Ostende et là dans le chenal coulé le 10 mai 1918. L'épave a été levé le 16 Août 1920 et divisé en morceaux. L'arc est maintenant sur le front de mer à Ostende comme un mémorial.

"HMS C3" sous Lieut. A.C Newbold et "HMS C1" sous Lieut. R.D. Sandford étaient vieux sous-marins de classe C construite par Vickers, Barrow-in-Furness. Ils avaient une équipe de bénévoles à bord. "HMS Thetis" était un croiseur Apollo-classe de la Royal Navy datant de 1890.


Le "HMS Vindictive" devrait débarquer 200 soldats sur le jetée afin de détruire l'artillerie Allemande qui défendait l'embouchure du canal de Bruges. En approchant Zeebruges Mole, les deux ferries se séparaient du "HMS Vindictive". Un écran de fumée devrait empêcher la vue. Le "HMS Iris II" a réussi à s'amarrer à la jetée. La première tentative a échoué, mais les deux officiers, George Nicholson Bradford et le lieutenant Hawkins hardiment grimpaient à terre et pouvaient assurer le navire. Tous les deux ont été tués. Un officier, le lieutenant William. E. Sillitoe est mort probablement de la même action. Avec un autre déchu, le soldat J. Bostock, il a été enterré dans le cimetière de Hamilton Road, Deal, Kent. Les Marines ont pris d'assaut la jetée .De l'artillerie lourde allemande des Allemands se défendent farouchement: le marin Hermann Künne le destroyer S53 attaquait même le chef des marins avec un couteau. Il l'a poignardé, mais il a été lui-même abattu. Le vent a tourné et a soufflé l'écran de fumée. Les marines ont tombaient sous les tirs allemandes et meuraient en masse. Le sous-marin "HMS C3" et "HMS C1" avaient 5 tonnes amatol à bord de leur proue et se dirigaient vers le viaduc afin de démolir le pont. Ainsi ils pouvaient prévenir que les Allemands envoyaient des renforts. Les équipages ont dû quitter le bateau peu avant la collision et le sous-marin continuait tout seul. Cependant, le "HMS C1" est venu de franchir le canal sans remorqueur et est arrivé trop tard pour agir. Le sous-marin "HMS C3" réussisait à souffler un trou de 150 pieds.

Alors que la contre-attaque allemande se concentrait sur l'attaque avec le "HMS Vindictive", les Britanniques ont envoyés trois croiseurs de 1890 remplis de ciment: le «Intrepid», le «Thetis» et «Iphigenea" pour les laisser couler à l'écluse. L'intention était de les amener dans le début du canal et bloquer ainsi le canal du port. L'attaque sur le quai n'était pas suffisant et les trois navires souffraient sous un feu Allemand. Le "Thetis" n'a pas atteint le point visé mais a couru sur un banc de sable et a été prématurément coulé. Les deux autres navires ont atteint le canal, mais n'ont pas coulé dans le bon endroit.

Les Allemands enlevés deux piliers, de sorte que les sous-marins allemands pouvaient naviguer. Déjà deux jours plus tard à marée haute le long des navires de blocage Les sous-marins allemands étaient donc être gênés par cette cascade, mais l'opération a échoué vraiment.
Le dragon a lutté brièvement, mais n'a pas été surmontée.

Pourtant, un amiral français a extrêmement félicité l'entreprise: «C'est le plus magnifique exploit que l'histoire de tous les temps et de tous les pays a produit dans le domaine maritime".

Les Anglais, 1700 en total, comptaient 200 morts, dont le commandant Frank Arthur Bock, l'homme qui a inventé l'écran de fumée. Huit Croix de Victoria ont été décernées au total. Pour commémorer la tentative courageuse de Keyes Vice-amiral et de rendre hommage aux 200 victimes, chaque année le 23 Avril, ou le dimanche le plus proche au 23 Avril, le Jour de la Saint Georges est célébrée à Zeebrugge.

Les pertes

227 morts
356 blessés
1 destroyer coulé

8 morts
16 blessés

L'amiral Keyes Memorial Saint Georges Day

Le monument se compose de fragments de la jetée où le navire "vindicatif" s'est écrasé durant le raid: deux pierres placées sur l'autre. Au sommet se trouve une palme de bronze a confirmé que la Ville de Bruges donnés à l'amiral Keyes marqué "ville de Bruges. COMMÉMORATION DU 23 avril 1918

Deutscher Ehrenfriedhof Zeebrugge n ° 184

Les cimetières allemands de Langemarck, Vladslo, Hooglede et Menin sont bien connus au public. Moins connu, c'est le cimetière militaire allemand de Zeebrugge: le "Deutscher Ehrenfriedhof Zeebrugge n ° 184". Le cimetière contient les tombes de marins allemands et anglais (et un «aviateur») qui sont morts pendant la Première Guerre mondiale. Plus précis, des victimes du 23 Avril, 1918 sont enterrés ici. En outre, tout l'équipage de certains torpilleurs: le S15 et S20 (5 Juin, 1917) dans une fosse commune. Il ya aussi, étrange mais vrai, 44 Allemands, décédé dans un accident de tram le 26 Septembre 1915. Il y en a sept Allemands et 14 Britanniques enterrés tués durant les combats de Saint Georges.

"The lighthouse"

Point de vue

A la fin de la promenade on retrouve une belle vue sur le vieux phare au bout de la jetée, le même de l'an 1918. Il ya maintenant une toute nouvelle jetée trois kilometres en mer. On ne reconnait prèsque plus l'ancien. Seul le vieux phare a été conservé comme un souvenir de l'attaque de Zeebrugge en 1918. Profitez d'un moment de la foule autour des navires porte-conteneurs, bateaux de plaisance et des navires de guerre.

Saint Georges mémorial

Le mémorial est conçu comme triptyque en béton, avec cadre. Il est composé de plusieurs plaques, qui rappellent les événements de Saint Georges. La plaque centrale faisait partie de l'ancien Memorial de Saint Georges qui a été créée après 1942 par le maire honoraire Van Damme avec des fonds privés.
Le mémorial a été démoli lors de la construction du nouveau canal du port. L'épée de bronze contre le dos de la pierre a probablement été incorporé dans le monument de l'église Saint-Donaskerk pour les victimes civiles et militaires de la municipalité. Le monument était déjà un remplacement d'un précédent, inauguré le 24 Avril, 1924 : une colonne commémorative de la statue en cuivre de Saint Georges avec le dragon. La colonne était de granit, avec une hauteur d'environ 21m. L'inauguration de celui-ci a eu lieu le 22 Avril 1923. Ce bâtiment a été démoli en 1942, la statue a été prise en Allemagne et les blocs de pierre ont été utilisé plus tard pour un nouveau monument.
Auprès du monument commence également la nouvelle promenade Saint Georges sur la digue ouest de Zeebrugge. Grâce à cette promenade, qui est de quatre mètres de large, les marcheurs peuvent se promener en mer. Deux grandes plateformes d'observation avec des sièges sur mesure offrent une vue magnifique sur les environs.

Votre mission

Trouvez à chacun des quatre points une étiquette avec des informations partielles sur le cache.

Additional Hints (No hints available.)