Blue Plaque - The Architect
How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The Blue Plaque commemorates the connection between a building and a person
The plaque is on private property but visible from the public highway and the information required does not required entering the premises and therefore the cache is NOT at the above co-ordinates
This gentleman was an English architect is sometimes called the Father of Arts and Crafts Architecture.
Born in Oxford, he studied at Aynho in Northamptonshire and was then articled to firms of builder-architects in Wolverhampton and Reading, Berkshire. He then moved to London where he eventually became a junior assistant for G. E. Street. While there he met William Morris in 1856 and then started his own practice in 1858.
He is particularly noted as the designer of Red House at Bexleyheath, southeast London in 1859 for William Morris, and – towards the end of his career – the house Standen (near East Grinstead in West Sussex). These were among several works in his favoured niche: country houses.
William Morris, Edward Burne-Jones and Dante Gabriel Rossetti were three of his partners in the interior decorating and furnishing business, Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co., later to become Morris & Co.
Along with and Morris, he formed an important part of the Arts and Crafts movement, and founded the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings in 1877. He became the treasurer of Morris's revolutionary Socialist League, after joining it
George Howard of Naworth Castle near Brampton in Cumbria was an able artist and friend of the Pre-Raphaelites, and a keen patron of this gentleman. He built two houses for the Naworth Castle Estate: Four Gables and Green Lane House, as well as his London house at 1, Palace Green. Much financial help was offered towards building a new church in Brampton by Charles Howard MP (George Howard's father) on condition that he chose the architect.
His plan for St Martin's Church is quite unlike most other Victorian churches, with the body of the church being almost square. It is the only church he designed, it contains an exquisite set of stained glass windows designed by Burne-Jones, and executed in the William Morris studio.
His friendship with the family of Sir Thomas Hugh Bell, leading iron founder of Middlesbrough, led to three commissions: Rounton Grange (demolished in 1953), Red Barns House and the Dorman Long office building (originally Bell Brothers Ltd) in Middlesbrough (his only commercial development).
In 1901 he retired to the country and ceased practising. He continued to be an influence on the "school of rational builders" surrounding William Lethaby, and Ernest Gimson and his community of architect-craftsmen based at Sapperton in Gloucestershire.
Extracted from Wikipedia
The plaque has a number of dates on it, going from top left to bottom right and they become
The following algebraic equation is required to be solved to locate the final cache
N HA L(R+S).BH(G+R) W LM LB.C(G+H)P
Research Note - This is about going and seeing, Street view will provide a blurred image of the plaque, the gentleman's name is discern-able, not the required dates
There are three other good reasons to go to the cache site, more attributed a local artist rather than a architect
Architects use their own drawing impliments and you must bring and use your own here
G bs VP qvntbany Fvyire Ovepu
Loading Cache Logs...
Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum