The cache is located on the edge of clearing on the Snowshoe Hare Trail. In the clearing, in the summer, you will see the cement foundations of the Bragg Creek Youth Hostel, which was the first Hostel in North America.
This was the Hostel's 3rd location. After being established in 1933 in a tent on White Avenue in Bragg Creek (see our GC44VNR), it was, a year later, rebuilt as a more permanent structure on Tom Fullerton’s “Last Break Ranch” about 3 km north of Bragg Creek (now the road to Wintergreen), where it remained until 1947. We had planned on putting a cache near that site, but as the Wintergreen Road is narrow, with deep ditches, there would have been no place to park near the ranch, except in private drive ways, so we elected not to.
A number years after it closed at the ranch, the third and final edition of the Hostel was built in what is now the West Bragg Creek area of Kananaskis. The old road which led up to the Hostel is found, on the right, just after the cattle guard and inside the gates. The bridge which used to go over the creek to the Hostel was long ago washed out so access is no good that way without fording the creek. The Hostel only operated a few years at this final location, before it burned down in 1984.
Visit the braggcreek.ca web site to read the full story on the Hostel.
FTF prize is Bison Tube Micro. There are a few small trade items in the cache.