The earliest documentary reference to the church is in 1379 but it is thought that it was established around the 1280s. Additions were made to the church and it was remodelled in the late 15th century under the patronage of Sir William Stanley. During the Civil War it was damaged when it was occupied by Parliamentary forces; bullet marks are still present from that occupation. In 1732 the church was renovated; this included removal of the rood loft and screens.
A further restoration was carried out between 1871 and 1873 on behalf of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. Ewan Christian carried out the work on the chancel and John Douglas was responsible for the rest of the church. This included removal of the whitewash from the interior and adding vaulting under the tower. New oak screens were fitted between the chancel and the chapels, and the seating was replaced in the choir and the nave. Many memorials were removed and the window tracery was renewed.
The bells were rehung in 1896, a weather vane was added to the tower in 1897, and the clock was replaced in 1902. In 1960 the heating and lighting were improved and in 1963 restoration work was carried out on the tower and the roof were re-covered. The north door tells its own story, with loopholes for gun barrels dating back to the Civil War period of 1645, and there is ample evidence of a battle fought with muskets inside the church.
The 15th-century font is rich in heraldry, including the Arms of King Richard III, and a number of beautiful memorials enhance the interior.
As with other churches close to the River Dee, in August the ancient custom of Rushbearing is a huge attraction, when new floor rushes from the banks of the River are brought in procession, and the graves are "dressed" with flowers.