The Posted Coordinates Are Not Real. They Are Only Parking Coordinates for Location 3. You Must Complete the Research In Order to Find the Cache.
This is the second cache in the “Paranormal Research” series. Each cache will be released around October or November of each year until the series is complete. The “Paranormal Research” series will have you investigate and learn the various ghost stories around Berks County.
This latest installment includes four stages or locations to visit, one of which is a night cache. Though each stage can be done in any order that you choose, it is designed to be done in the order listed. Doing them in the listed order will save you distance and time.
Like the first cache of the series, we had a lot of fun putting this together and had some experiences of our own. It is our hope that you share in some of those experiences without getting too scared. Have fun and good luck.
Congratulations to GreenbayChis, TeamKelChelle, and ST.FU for completing the research and getting the FTF!
“Greetings, again! In case you forgot, my name is Professor Eidolon. I hope you liked your first assignment. You did very well with your research and investigation of that case file. You did so well, in fact, that I’m going to give you another assignment. Since you’ve proven yourself to be an adequate paranormal researcher, I’m going to trust you with a more difficult project.”
“This time you will be investigating an area that is not only considered the most haunted area in Berks County, but possibly one of the most haunted areas in the entire country. That’s right; I’m sending you to the area of Hawk Mountain. I’ve already looked at this case and I’m telling you right now, you’re in for a treat. You may not have gotten too spooked on your first case but don’t get too comfortable. Heh…this one just might send chills down your spine…or worse.”
“A few days ago, a farmer from the area, brought me a picture of his barn and some mysterious etchings that showed up over the course of a few nights. Apparently, this past winter, these etchings started to appear over night. First there was one, then two, then some more. I went out to his barn and took some close up shots and enhanced the photos so they could be seen clearer. I’ll tell ya, they are indeed mysterious. I’ve worked on their meanings but I don’t want to influence your research in anyway, so I’m not going to tell you what I found.”
“I want you to read the case file below and analyze the photos. Find out what they mean and follow my instructions to complete this investigation. One word of caution though, be very careful. You may be entering deep into the unknown on this one. Good luck.”
Case File: 1013-02
Title: Spirits of the Ecke
Over the last two centuries, many people have reported a multitude of sightings and sounds in the “ecke,” or corner, of Berks County. Some believe that these occurrences are caused by a mysterious energy that permeates the area. The native Indians, which once inhabited the area, found Hawk Mountain and its surrounding land to be very sacred. Their medicine men, who knew a lot about ley lines, believed that the area was a convergence of those lines. The land is thought to be the old ceremonial or ritual grounds of these Indians. In fact, the remains of ceremonial rings have been found over the years. While all of that may be true, some say that something, more sinister, is at the root of all the “things and bumps” in the night. Below are a few examples of the various reports:
- Over the years, there have been numerous sightings at night of a 10 foot tall phantom man, along the old mountain road. Apparently, this apparition emanates an evil so strong that all who have encountered it are overcome with an overwhelming feeling of fear.
- There have been several orbs of light spotted along the road and in a nearby cemetery.
- A few people have reported vehicle and battery failure along the old country road and around the same cemetery of the light orbs.
- One of the most common sightings is that of a “ghost hawk.”
- Several sounds have been reported around the surrounding countryside. These sounds include spectral flute music, voices, footsteps, wails, whistles, and screams.
- One day, two brothers were walking their dog along a trail in a nearby state game lands. As they were approaching an open field, they heard a sound that they described as a “whoomp” or heavy thud. They heard it several more times before their dog started getting skittish and they got scared enough to turn back and head back down the trail. As they continued, they kept hearing the sound. They felt that it was paralleling and following them. They quickly got back to the empty parking lot and took off.
You are to analyze the photographs included in this case file. Translate their meanings and find out the coordinates of the first two locations that you are to visit. I want you to investigate four locations in all. The locations are the first two that you gather from your photo analysis and a third, which must be conducted at night. I have set up a trail for you to follow to get you to the third investigation site. The coordinates for the start of that trail are N 40 37.583 W 075 57.319.
After investigating all three areas and piecing together the information at those sites, you will have what you need to investigate the fourth and final location. Below are the exact instructions that you are to follow.
|Barn and Inscriptions
|Close Up and Enhanced Photo of 1st. Inscription
|Close Up and Enhanced Photo of 2nd. Inscription
Check your solution for the 1st. location
|Close Up and Enhanced Photo of 3rd. Inscription - Location 1
Check your solution for the 2nd. location
|Close Up and Enhanced Photo of 4th. Inscription - Location 2
SOLVE - N 40 EF.GCA W 075 HI.JDB
1. Go to the first location
2. At that location, face the road, take in the view, and then walk 150 paces
3. At the end of the 150 paces, turn 90° to the right
4. Walk another 34 paces and turn 90° to the right
5. This will bring you to the remains of a broken tombstone
6. This spot is, what I believe to be, the grave of your case study
7. Look to the left of that grave, find the “twin” headstones, and solve the following information
8. Dianna lived for 58 years, 10 months, and “X” number of days. A = X - 4
9. Charles lived for 77 years, “X” number of months, and 17 days. B = X ÷ 2
1. Go to the second location
2. It is a private residence, so do not trespass onto the land. You can either drive or walk by this location. If you choose to walk, be careful as this can be a busy road at times and there is not much of a shoulder. I have safely walked it though.
3. There is a very large sign, on the porch and leaning against the front of the building, between the two front doors. C = The number of words on that sign + 1
4. There is a word on a box, somewhat like a mailbox, under the address to the building. D = The number of letters in that word - 3
1. Go to N 40 37.583 W 075 57.319
2. You will have to visit this location at night in order to find the necessary information. At this location you will find the first tack of a trail of fire tacks.
3. Follow the trail of fire tacks to the actual location that I want you to investigate. It will be near the area that the two brothers heard the mysterious sound, while walking their dog.
4. Once you arrive at your destination, search for a small plastic container. That container holds the information that you will need to find your final research objective.
5. E, F, G, H, I, and J will all be in that container
Check Your Final Solution
Notes About This Cache
- Don’t visit the first location at night.
- You can visit the second location at night but the information may be hard to read. Either way, pay attention and be careful, if you decide to walk passed. The geochecker for that stage will give you parking coordinates.
- The third location is a short night cache. The approximate round trip distance is slightly less than a mile. For a thorough investigation, only visit this location at night. It is in state game lands, so if you visit before night, make sure to be safe and wear orange during the appropriate seasons.
- The terrain rating of this cache is based on the night cache stage. Most of it is along a wide open trail but there is a section that will have you go over uneven ground with high grass that has a tendency to hide tripping hazards. Please, take your time, be careful, and watch your footing.
- The start of the trail of fire tacks will consist of a tree with two white tacks, one on top of the other. After you find that tree, follow the single tack placements along the trail. When you come to a tree with two white tacks, it will indicate a turn. The top tack will be placed, either to the left or the right of the bottom tack. This will tell you which direction to turn. When you come to a tree with three white tacks, placed in the shape of a triangle, you have arrived at your destination. A small plastic container will be hidden within 15 – 20 feet of that tree. All tacks are placed to the right of the trail and above head high.
- The fourth and final location is in an area that can be visited at night, if you want.
- The most efficient way to do this cache is to plan the stages in coordination with visiting the third stage at night. Start just before dawn and visit the first location. Then move on to the second location and, finally, the third location, as it is starting to get dark. You can then decide to visit the final on the same night or save it for another day.
If you enjoyed this cache, check out the other one in this series:
Paranormal Research - The "Belle" of Central Berks