- County - Township: Decatur - Clay
- Container: waterproof cell box
- Parking:The back half of the cemetery can be accessed by driving through the grass between the field and treeline.
- FTF: AlterYourThinking & kblookers
- Other notes: BYOP
Please respect all headstones. A lot of work has gone into making sure they remain for generations to discover.
I'm attempting to place caches in as many of Decatur County cemeteries as I can. Take your time and enjoy yourself. You don't have to stop at every headstone, but, please, slow down and look around you. Grave markers can tell a story, or at the very least make you wonder what the story really is. I'd prefer my cemetery caches not be park and grabs.
I am unable to find much of a history other than, "This cemetery was located on the Barr farm in Clay twp and was deeded to the County trustees by Henry S. Barr on 10 March 1882" This has to be the biggest rural cemetery I've come across. The area size is massive. The front section has only three markers with another hidden on the north path (Patrick Cemetery #2 cache). The back section has all the older markers. This place quickly became one of my favorites.
Headstones to Look For
- Joseph Childers : According to the records, he is a veteran of the War of 1812.
- John V. Brown : Company H, 123rd IND Inf. Died at Nashville, TN on 5/20/1864 from disease.
- Elisha G. Patrick : Company H, 37th IND Inf. Supposed to be buried here though it has yet to be found. Died of disease in Huntsville, AL on 2/5/1862.
- The Tree Covered Headstone: As you pull toward the back part of the cemetery you'll find a headstone that has been overgrown by a tree toward the right.
The Tale of the Tudor Family
- George M. Tudor (father) 2/26/1844 - 9/19/1926 : Actually buried in Mount Aerie Cemetery
- Sarah E. Tudor (Wife #1) 4/14/1852 - 6/25/1875 : Apparently died after childbirth to son John.
- John E. Tudor (child #1) 6/19/1875 - 8/31/1875 : Son of George and Sarah
- Mary Mahala Austin Tudor (Wife #2) 10/7/1854 - 12/19/1903 : Also burried in Mt. Aerie
- Bertie Tudor 3/25/1880 : Daughter of John and Mary
- Myrtle Tudor 5/8/1881 - 5/25/1881 : Daughter of John and Mary