Staney Hill Standing Stone
The Staney Hill Standing Stone also know as the Stone O'Hinatuin is near the crest of Staney Hill. There is a magnificent panorama of almost the entire inland bowl of the western Mainland. The Ring of Brogar stands out clearly with the large conical Salt Knowe to the right shown up clearly against the water of Lock Stenness. Beyond and directly above this cone rise the cliffs of Helia on Hoy from behind the low Mainland hill. Harray is the only parish not to touch the sea, and lies in the centre of the West Mainland. It is mostly fertile agricultural land, apart from the hills bordering Eivie and Rendall. It is known as the “Parish of Lairds” as nearly all the land was held under Udal Law by the farmers. The Harray Loch is one of the best fishing Lochs in Scotland, as well as being home to thousands of Wildfowl in wintertime.
About 1137 St Magnus’ remains were to be transferred to Kirkwall, carried by the men of each parish in turn. The procession of Birsaymen was to meet the Harraymen at the Hinatuin Stone on the Stoney Hill road. The Birsaymen were apparently late in arriving. When they did they found the Harraymen “Coming crawling oot o’the ditches like crabs oot o’the ebb”, on account of them having consumed all the ale intended for the Birsaymen. Harray folk have ever since been called “Crabs”. The name Hinatuin is said to mean “Going back in shame” referring to the Birsaymen who insulted the Harray folk.
For More Information click on the following link:- The Modern Antiquarian 5493
This cache is a 900 ml cliplock container with Logbook, pen and swaps with room for TB’s and Geocoins.