Clynder and its sister village rosneath, a village and a parish of Argyll and Bute. The village lies near the western shore of the Gare Loch, where a small triangular promontory projects to within 3 furlongs of the opposite point of Row, 5 5/8miles S by E of Garelochhead, 2 5/8 W by N of Helensburgh, and 5 NNW of Greenock. A little place, serving rather as a centre of communication to the sprinkling of residences over miles in the neighbourhood, than as a seat of trade or of any considerable population, it adjoins a convenient quay, where steamers call many times a day; and it has an inn and a post office under Helensburgh, with money order, savings' bank, and telegraph departments.
The pier was commisioned in 1866 but about 10 years later in 1876 on the instructions of local landowner of the Barremman estate Robert Thom, the barreman pier was constructed to entice visitors to his estate. These were actually only 500 yards apart with some steamers calling at both piers. this pier opened in 1878 and although it was not in the centre of the village it gradually won the majority of traffic due to its superior construction and safer approach routes. Clynder pier was offered up for sale in 1887. When no buyer could be found it closed in 1892 and demolished within a year. Just to confuse people after the old peir was removed barreman pier was renamed Clynder pier. It was frequently used until the 20th century with nearby faslane and also the no longer rosneath navel bases prevalent in the area.
image of clynder 1909 with the pier centre of image
end of the pier in 1967
The pier was blown up by the Army in November 1967, using 2lbs of plastic explosive, as it was the cheapest way to demolish the pier, which had become unsafe. District Clerk William Swan pressed the plunger at the invitation of D.Smith of Construction and Marine Ltd., Garelochhead.
While visiting the area why not check out the rest of our ''old piers of the clyde'' series situated in garelochhead and cove
Congratulations to Braddaz on FTF