Come and join us for Minnesota's 7th Annual Canoe-in Geocaching Event. It includes a run down the Cannon River from Cannon Falls to the Miesville Ravine landing, approximately 6.7 miles of spectacular paddling and geocaching. Following the river run, we'll all gather and have some eats, drinks, and practice socialism (not the Russian kind).
Paddling is encouraged BUT NOT REQUIRED. This event will provide you the opportunity to geocache while you're paddling, biking, or hiking. Whichever geocaching method you choose, just be sure to make it to the picnic on time in order to sign the event log.
Bikers should plan accordingly. Miesville Ravine Regional Park is on the opposite side of the river as the Cannon Valley Trail. There are no river crossings between Cannon Falls and Welch and there is no shuttle service available for biking.
Where: Miesville Ravine Regional Park
When: Saturday August 9th, 2014
Who: Any geocachers, paddlers, paddling geocachers, bikers, biking geocachers, hikers, families, friends, ALL are welcome!
- 9:00 AM: Early arrival and shelter setup.
- 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM: Gather at Miesville Ravine - near listed coordinates. If you plan on using your OWN boat, it is highly recommended that you have your boat dropped off in Cannon Falls BEFORE the morning gathering. If you are NOT renting a boat but grabbing a ride on the shuttle, be prepared to pay a small fee ($5) to catch a ride. Boat owners, drop your boats off at the Cannon Falls Public Water Access or at the rental shop (WITH PERMISSION), which across the street from the PWA.
- 10:00 AM: SHUTTLE PICKUP. Begin moving towards Cannon Falls. Shuttle service will be arranged. If you're renting a watercraft, the shuttle ride is included. If you're using your own boat, there will be a nominal fee, but you'll have a cheap group rate. Be prepared to pay as much as $5 for a ride. As event host, my canoe will be dropped off in advance at the Cannon Falls Canoe Landing.
- 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM: Get everyone moving on the river. I suspect there will be various fragmented groups on the river. If you see others, be sure to identify yourselves as geocachers and keep things fun.
- 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM: Paddle completed. Arrive back at Miesville Ravine for picnic and gathering. Don't be late, the charcoal won't last forever.
Bikers, Hikers, Picnicers (NON-paddlers)
- 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM: Team up. Group up. Visiting. Geocaching the area. BIKERS MUST ARRANGE THEIR OWN SHUTTLE SERVICE.
- 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM: Bikes and hikes completed. Arrive back at Miesville Ravine for picnic and gathering. Don't be late, the charcoal won't last forever.
- 2:00 PM: Socializing, picnicing, eating.
- 3:00 PM: The charcoal will be ready for use. Let the cooking begin.
- 4:00 PM: Door Prize Drawing. You must be present to win.
- 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM: Party's over. See you next year?
General Event Info:
- We welcome everyone to join us.
- Bring a dish to share: hot dish, dessert, salad, whatever (keep junk food to a minimum). BRING YOUR OWN MEAT FOR THE GRILL. There WILL be a charcoal grill fired up at the shelter.
- I'll try to bring paper plates, cups and utensils but it'd be best if you didn't rely on me and brought your own.
- Come prepared for "changing" weather. This IS Minnesota, ya know.
- IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND AND PLANNING TO RENT, RESERVE YOUR BOAT ASAP.
- Minnesota state law requires that you MUST have life preserver for each body in a boat. It also says that children must be wearing them. Be responsible for yourself. You will be attending this event at free will, therefore you can hold no one else responsible or liable other than yourself. You paddle and geocache at your own risk. If you RENT, the rental service DOES provide life preservers for you.
- Admission to the event and parking are FREE! (unless you paddle and boat or equipment rental is required)
- WARNING. IF YOU ATTEND THE EVENT, DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT PARK IN THE PARKING LOT DRIVEWAY. IF THE PARKING LOT IS FULL, THERE IS ANOTHER PARKING LOT 200' to the north. Park rangers do not hesitate to provide you with a citation.
If this year's sweet corn crop ripens on time, sweet corn will be provided. Your RSVP will be extremely important in planning. If you are planning on coming, log a "will attend" on this page with how many will be coming, boating or biking or hiking, how many boats you're bringing, how many boats you're renting, and whether or not you require shuttle service. Put this cache on your watch list so you will be informed of all the updates.