This is the second cache in honour of the much maligned King Richard the Third.
A small cache with no room for anything else. Please take a pen.
After his defeat at Bosworth Field, Richard’s naked corpse was brought back to Leicester slung over the back of a horse.
The badly beaten and desecrated body was possibly displayed in the Newarke to the townsfolk, perhaps at the nearby church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, as indisputable proof that the King was dead. After three days he was taken to the church of the Franciscan Friars where he was buried.
The area of the Newarke, entered by the Gateway (known as the Magazine Gateway after its use as a gunpowder store during the Civil War), was a religious precinct beyond the City gates and surrounded by its own wall. The Gateway itself was built about 1410 as an impressive entrance to the area.
Richard was given a final resting place in Leicester Cathedral on 26th March 2015.
(See GC4K93X - The Friars and the Royal Bones, GC4XMC0 - GC4Y555 The Grey Friars, and GC5MCNH - The King is Dead, Long Live the King.
++++CONGRATULATIONS to SoggyMoggy & MrJimDG for FTF (17 minutes after publication!)++++