The park where the cache is hidden is name after Joseph Barracluff who was born in Lincolnshire in 1861 and died in Sydney in 1918 at age 54. He and his wife immigrated to Australia, arriving and settling in Sydney in 1884.
Barracluff owned an Ostrich Farm in the Eastern Suburbs and although Barracluff Park is named after him, it is not where the ostrich farm was located. During its operation locals often referred to the farm’s location as ‘Barracluff’s Hill’, however the farm was actually located in the suburb we now know as Dover Heights.
According to a 1926 Water Board map, the farm was bounded by Kimberley Street in the north, County Street in the east and Kobada Street in the south. Other references have the farm located between Elvina Street and Norton Avenue, or between Military Road, Old South Head Road and Ocean View Avenue running down to the cliff edge. Another reference has the entrance to the farm at the south end of Norton Avenue, on the left-hand side of the road.
The farm appears to have been commercially successful, catering to the high demand for extravagant feathers for ladies hats, boas, fans and necklets. A small number of female staff were employed at the farm, under the direction of Jane Barracluff, to create the feather products.
The ostrich eggs, because of their size and beauty, were prized as ornaments and were finely carved in great detail; the most elaborate of these were mounted in silver settings and proudly displayed as household decorative pieces. The farm was open 7 days per week, including public holidays and it was possible to purchase ostrich feathers directly from them, with some advertisements claiming that patrons could even pluck their own feathers!
Another interesting factor about this park is the groundwater harvesting system. You will be able to find out more information at the park.
Congratulation Rheneas - FTF!
Source: Waverley council website