Picture © Copyright Kenneth Allen 2011 and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The 3rd Presbyterian Church, Townhill Road which was founded in 1839, had it's facade remodelled in 1847, and the main church was rebuilt after a fire in 1965 in a Romanesque style with a mock round tower.
At one time there were three Presbyterian churches in Portglenone but only 1st and 3rd remain, which can be confusing!
- 1st Portglenone (first record 1726) is nearby and is still in use today,
- 2nd Portglenone (1821), known as Townhill Succession congregation and dissolved in 1910, and
- 3rd Portglenone, which was the second church formed and was known as the ‘2nd’ until 2 Synods united in 1840; after 1840 it became known as ‘3rd'.
The following members of 3rd Presbyterian Church, Portglenone are commemorated as serving in World War One.
- Black, Henry Private, R. Inn. Fus.
- Bonter, Robt., Private, R.A.F
- Carleton, Robt, Private, R. Inn. Fus.
- Holmes, Robt. Private R.D. Fus
- Law, William, Private, R. Inn. Fus., Killed in action
- McLean, Alex., Private, R. Inn. Fus., Killed in action
- McNeill, James, Private, R. Inn. Fus., Wounded
- Moffett, Alex., Private, R. Irish Rifles
- Montgomery, Robt., Private, R.A.F
- Nickle, James, Private, I. Guards
- Ross, Robt., Gunner, R.A.F
- Stewart, James, Lieutenant, N. Surgeon
- Stronge, Archibald, Private, Gordon Highlanders, Wounded
- Williamson, Henry, Private, Seaforth Highlanders, Wounded
*'Commemorated' means that he is remembered in the Presbyterian Church in Ireland Roll of Honour, 1914-19, on a tablet or plaque in the church named or that his name is on a family headstone in the churchyard.
The Church Micro IE series is open to everyone; if you have a church that you would like to place a cache at please contact THE_Chris through Geocaching.com. He keeps track of the church series numbers and he will give you the general format for the cache page. In the UK there are #1500 caches in the series so we have some catching up to do! If you currently have a published cache at a church that you would like to include in the series get in contact and we can add it.