Derrynacullen. (the house beneath the waterfall).
The building you see here is a two story farmhouse with a barn area at the rear and a fank up the hill towards the spectacular 50ft waterfall. The farmhouse was abandoned in the 1940’s.
John Keats, an early 19th Century romantic poet, and his friend Charles Armitage Brown, also a writer, are thought to have stopped here on their way to Staffa. It is believed that they had breakfast at the farmhouse on the 23rd July, 1818 having travelled from Grasspoint.
John Keats describes the walk across Mull to the most extreme point on the Ross of Mull, Kintra, as a ‘wretched walk, some 37 miles’. Whilst on Mull he caught a bad cold and was too thin and fevered to proceed on the journey."
He died on the 23 February 1821 in Rome where he had gone, as the climate had been better for his deteriorating case of tuberculosis, sadly a family weakness having lost his brothers to the same disease.