There are alternate ways to access GZ if preferred. There is great views overlooking the old Cresta Valley ski resort, you can see all the ski lifts still there however the buildings were lost in the 2006 bushfires. The 360 degree views include the Horn, the Back Wall, the Cathedral and the Plateau. As with all climbing, please use caution and care at all times. Wear appropriate clothing, we recommend long trousers.
How do I get there?
Park at the Cathedral/Hump car park. Take the walking track to The Hump summit and veer right at the fork near the top.
This is a granite environment which requires climbing and negotiating boulders and potentially tight spaces. It is HIGHLY recommended that these caches are attempted with two or more people for safety reasons. Please ensure that the Ranger’s or a close family member are given a plan of your movements and anticipated return in case of an emergency.
The best months for walking are from November through to April, however, weather conditions can change rapidly, and snowfalls and blizzards can occur at any time of the year. During the summer period, bushfires can also pose a threat so check the CFA website for updates prior to departure.
Be prepared with:
• Helmet with reliable head torch (additional torches)
• Appropriate clothing, we recommend long trousers
• Wind and waterproof jackets
• Warm clothing – hat, gloves, sunglasses, and strong footwear (rubber soles)
• Food and water
• First aid kit and sunscreen
• Map and compass
• Check the weather forecast before departing
• Let someone know where you are going
• Mobile phone (reception in most areas)