Winnipeg has a wealth of Mystery (or Unknown) geocaches. Many people are intimidated by this type of cache so, we're going to buddy up and try and tackle them.
The overall event will run from 11:00AM to 2:00PM and will be broken down into 3 parts:
Part 1: Puzzle Solving 101 11:00AM to 12:00PM
- This is meant for those of you who are unsure of your puzzle solving ability, or even unsure where to start when solving them. Dani will give a 1 hour (ish) tutorial to help you get past any puzzle anxiety you may have. If you are already comfortable in solving puzzles, you can skip this hour. We won't be solving any puzzles until Part 2.
Part 2: Puzzle Solving Workshop 12:00PM to 2:00PM
- This is the "meat and potatoes" of the event where everyone comes with their thinking caps on. We'll break up into small groups to work on puzzles from the list of caches requested to be solved. (see below).
- Note for latecomers: Please do not come any later than 1:30PM. It's only fair to those who have diligently worked on solving puzzles to reap the benefits. Anyone arriving after 1:30 PM can log an "attended", but will not be given puzzle solutions.
Part 3: Puzzle Hunting! 2:00PM to whenever you want to stop
- What's the fun in solving puzzles if you're not going to go and find them! After we've gotten some solutions under our belts, lets go find them! You can either do this on your own, or join other groups to go on a hunt (or two).
What is being supplied:
- This year, we are getting a private room so we can be as noisy as we like!
- We'll have chairs, tables, wi-fi, and maybe some flipcharts and white boards.
What to Bring:
- Laptops, tablets, smart phones, GPS devices, beverages, snacks, paper, pens, anything you think you'll need to get you through the session (no alcohol, please!)
- A small donation of $5(ish) dollars to help offset the cost of booking the room. If you want to donate more that's great. Any money collected above the cost of the room will be used for next year's event.
Where are we going to be?
- We have a new location this year! The Millenium Library is booked during the time we wanted to do this, so we are moving to the Louis Riel Library at 1168 Dakota St in South St. Vital. It has excellent (and free) parking and is on a bus route.
What puzzles are we going to solve?
- Please let us know before the event which caches you are interested in investigating. We would like to post them here and give cache owners the opportunity to request that their caches NOT be solved during this event, should they so wish. If you would prefer that your caches not be discussed, please let Dani know through her profile! Feel free to come for only part of the day if you'd like, but please do not show up only for the cache finding portion. You will be politely asked not to come with us to find the solved puzzles.
|Caches Requested to be Included
||Caches that will Not be discussed
Send the list of puzzles you're interested in to the event owner.
- 11-12-13 Potpourri Puzzle Cache (GC4V5CP)
- A little bit of this, a little bit of that (PE-3) (GC4QEE9)
- Alternative Factor, The (GC2FABR)
- Ancient Crete conundrum (PT-2) (GC4QPXP)
- And the award goes to..... (GC3BBPQ)
- Anime Trivia Puzzle (GC42EME)
- Archimedes Strikes Again (GC123JM)
- Are You Feeling Logical Today? (GC4RER0)
- ATC101 (GC3WTMY)
- Bad Wolf (GC1WHVJ)
- Coordinates that'll keep you warm (GC3FJYW)
- Coordination (GC4Q9T0)
- Court Martial (GC4BJX4)
- Dagger of the Mind (GC43TG7)
- DEAD CACHE GIVE-AWAY 2010 EDITION (GC23PM7)
- Death of Hal E. Wood (GC40EJG)
- Down to the Red (GC2XEM6)
- Easy as... (GC2DFQ1)
- Family Fun Night (GC4XPCJ)
- Games Adults Play, The: Eyes Cream (GC4K011)
- Games Adults Play, The: Gone Fishing (GC4K00K)
- Games Adults Play, The: Honey Where's My Tools (GC4K00B)
- Games Adults Play, The: Suppository (GC4JZZT)
- Geocaching Supervillain (GC45B79)
- Golden Nano, The (GC3PBGQ)
- GoldenEye (GC3GNBM)
- Hexaflexagon (GC4T6CX)
- Hieroglyphics (PT-1) (GC4NEDN)
- Hits of the '60s - I Am a Rock (GC4Q3VY)
- Hits of the '60s - Norwegian Wood (GC4NPYP)
- Illusionist (PE-1) (GC4PJ0A)
- Jonathan "John" I.Q. Neidelbaum Frink, Jr. (GC47NWF)
- Leprechaun, The (GC3AJNP)
- Manual GPS Trilateration Blitz (GCWBHN)
- Matlock Expressway (GC40B71)
- MATLOCK!!! (GC40B82)
- Mayor of Zombieland, The (GC4CJY2)
- Mortal Game: Rock Paper Scissors, The (GC4W6JP)
- Nights of Pythagoras -or- Death by Triangulation (GC11R0C)
- Ninja Turtle Playground (GC4KKHH)
- No Hints (GC44C8H)
- No One Shall MACH These Pirates (GC3Z4RD)
- Node 3, Serenity, Colbert... (GC2K1WH)
- Penny for your thoughts? (GC4KZBV)
- Perfect Game – Oct 8, 1956, The (GC4PHG7)
- PGP (Pretty Good Puzzle) Cache (GCZ1PK)
- Precalculus 30S (GC48KHV)
- Precalculus 40S (GC4AVQG)
- Puzzler, The (GC2ZDTK)
- Questions about that thing in your hand (GC4NR59)
- Qwerty's ALT Cache (GC4M08J)
- Russian Enigma, The (GC4NG6T)
- Space Pilot 3000 (GC44HW8)
- staIrs of Cirith Ungol, The (GC3EHEY)
- Streak Enablers (GC53AW9)
- Takuzu (GC4QBG3)
- Then Who Did? (GC59JTY)
- Thunk (GC2WFXR)
- Toc Toc (GC538HR)
- Trouble With Tribbles, The (GC2KH1F)
- Where's Waldo? (GC4KKGJ)
- Who Dey? When Dey! (GC4WAXF)
- Whom Gods Destroy (GC3XREC)
- World is Quiet Here, The (GC1726W)
- Xcellant Agility (GC4H5YH)
- Yesyes? Nono! (GC4XEDE)
- Zounds! Another Puzzle! (GC4RNT9)
- Captain Rackam's Tradehouse (GC33QQK)
- Caul Tunnel (GC15XX8)
- Electrical Engineering Blitz (GCW841)
- Hide and Seek Cache (GC21AWZ)
- Pahk Attack (GC3WG9D)
- Pahk Strikes Back, The (GC3XF4Q)
- Photo Edited (GC21RDH)
- Smartpark Pirates (GCZ6DF)
- Take 5 (GC1EAEV)
If you do not want your puzzle cache discussed,
please let us know.
Due to the overwhelming number of nominated
caches, I felt it necessary to pare down the list
a little. The following is the list of puzzles
moving to the "not solving column". Even with
this, we will still have almost 70 caches to
choose from. Apologies to those who brought
them forward. That said, there isn't anything
stopping you from asking others for help.
This is a list of non-Manitoban caches that have
been requested. It's not likely that the larger
group will have an opportunity to find these.
- Lucky Charms (GC566ZX) - FL
- One I Chose, The (GC54K2J) - FL
- Tribute to the Puzzle Man (GC134KA) - NS
- Wordplay 1 Beginner's Luck (GC50GWQ) - FL
- Wordplay 2 Bush League (GC51HPQ) - FL
- Wordplay 3 A Scholar and a Geocacher (GC53H88) - FL
This is a list of caches that were solved at
previous Unsolved Mystery events. Maybe if you
ask nicely, someone from a previous event can
give you a hint on these.
- Archimedes Adventure (GCXK0P)
- Completely Censored (GC32K0F)
- Conscience of the King, The (GC3CM0Y)
- Crypto-Doku (GC4KDF3)
- Do You Cache Too? (GC2X0H8)
- Immortal Game, The (GC3BQQG)
- Not Again, Sam I Am (GC3AJQT)
- Nowhere Reef (GC3DN07)
- Precalculus/Applied 20S (GC4AVPV)
- Top Secret Email (GC3AK2B)
These caches are either field puzzles, or
require you to find other caches to gather the
- Chinese New Year Final (GC3B96Y)
- Giant's Gait TB Prison, The (GC2780E)
When you arrive, make sure you come and find dani_carriere to sign the log book. Any attendees who worked on any of the puzzle solutions will receive an email of all solved puzzles.
If anyone has any suggestions to make this event even more enjoyable, let us know!
Hope to see you all on September 20th!