This geocache is one in a series called St. James Farm. When you find this cache, you can obtain a code needed to find the series final called:
St. James Farm Final
After you have found this cache, return to the main gate and the paved path and head west to your next cache, SJF 7 - Magic Treehouse. There is a mowed path that splits off to the left from the paved path. Take that path.
The Main Gate
In 1832, one of Winfield’s earliest settlers, Erastus Gary, claimed the area on which you stand. Located near the northwest corner of present-day St. James Farm Forest Preserve, he built a small cabin on his claim and established a farm. He was joined by his brother Jude and they split the parcel. Jude and his wife Margaret had eight children and outgrew their original log home and so Jude built a gabled-roof-and-wing farmhouse between 1860 and 1870, one of the last of its kind in DuPage County. It is now the guard’s residence building in front of the information sign.
The original entrance to St. James Farm, marked by two brick pillars and an iron gate, were constructed by the early McCormicks after purchasing the estate. The main drive through the forest preserve is former Butterfield Road. This road divided the estate in two and it stretched from present-day Weisbrook Road west toward Winfield Road. In 1954, Butterfield Road was moved south 100 yards to its present-day location.
1. This Geocache is placed on DuPage County Forest Preserve property with permission. Permit #318
2. Do not place the following items in the Geocache: Food items, inappropriate, offensive, or hazardous materials.
3. DuPage County Forest Preserve hours are 1 hour after sunrise until 1 hour after sunset. Preserve users must not be in the preserves after hours.
4. It is the visitor’s responsibility to be aware of the policies and rules pertaining to this preserve. For more information on preserve rules contact Visitor Services at (630) 933-7248.
5. All Statutes, Ordinances, rules and regulations pertaining to the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County are applicable.