My parents owned a Mom and Pop Motel for 47 years. It was called the Corner Motel. My Dad bought it just after he returned from World War II and it was located in Cut Bank, Montana at the coordinates given for this cache. This cache is dedicated to their memory.
This cache is dedicated to the Mom and Pop motels that were built mostly between 1940 and 1960 all across America. Most families taking the dreaded Cross Country road trip stayed in these motels - because the large chains simply did not exist. These families were usually exhausted after driving 500 - 800 miles for the day in non-air conditioned vehicles and were looking for a "friendly" clean place to stay - preferrably with a pool for the kids.
Most of these motels had 10 - 20 rooms and were one story - or even resembled cabins. In their hey-day most of them were very good places to stay, clean, modern, with color TV and very knowledgeable hosts who weren't afraid to talk to the guests and share what the local area had to offer - the people who ran the motel owned them.
They exist in large cities and small towns - usually along the US Hiway that passes through them - Main Street - if you will - they are located there because in a lot of cases the Interstate system was not complete through most of the towns.
Most of these motels usually had one thing in common, a unique sign - usually with a No Vacancy/Vacancy indicator. Some of the signs were very creative...
To log this cache you must:
1. FIND A CLEAN, RESPECTABLE MOTEL - a lot of them have grown run down over the years. Do not post a flea bag or rent by the week (or by the hour) motel - IT SHOULD MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA - WOULD YOU LIKE TO SPEND A NIGHT (WITH YOUR FAMILY) IN THE MOTEL? The people who run the website asked me to put in that stipulation and I have to agree. If a flop house is posted, it will be deleted.
2. Post a picture of yourself with your GPSR or a picture of you holding your GPSR in front of the Mom & Pop Motel sign. If you want, also post a picture of the motel or individual cabins, the pool, whatever the case may be. But be sure to have your GPSR in the picture with the sign - no old vacation shots.
3. Post the name of the motel.
4. Post the coordinates of the motel
5. Give the City and State where the motel is located.
6. DO NOT POST PICTURES OF CHAIN HOTELS/MOTELS SUCH AS HOLIDAY INN, HILTON, MOTEL 6, ETC. OR INNER CITY BROWNSTONE TYPE HOTELS. BED AND BREAKFAST INNS THAT ARE COVERTED HOMES OR OTHER BUILDINGS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE EITHER.
You can only log a find once on the site and once a motel is posted it cannot be posted again.
I look forward to seeing all of the Mom and Pop motels out there. Have fun.