The dedication to St Aelhaiarn, a late 6thC saint, the morphology of the churchyard and to some degree the siting, indicate an early medieval foundation here.
It is claimed, though on no good evidence, that a stone church was in existence here by the 12thC.
The church was recorded as 'Cap'lla de Kegidua', a chapel dependent on Llandrinio, in the Norwich Taxation of 1254, with a value of œ2. But by the Lincoln Taxation of 1291 'Ecclia de Beygidia (Kegydia)' appears to have become independent, with a value of œ20.
Later, in the late 14thC, the church was annexed to a mother church at Meifod. And sometime in this century or later it seems to have been re-dedicated to All Saints.
On the basis of the architecture the 15thC and 16thC saw considerable changes to the structure.
18thC modifications include a shed adjoining the porch which was added in 1739 to house the village hearse and an oak door in the west wall of the north aisle dating to 1737.
A model of the church before the Victorian restoration (located at the back of the church) shows the exterior, with seven dormers to light a south aisle gallery, and a west gallery as well.The interior of the church was considerably altered in the 1879 restoration by G.E.Street at a cost of œ6000. The old pews were replaced by oak benches, the west end gallery and the gallery along the full length of the south aisle (both accessed by doors from the first floor of the south porch) were removed and the doors blocked up. The dormer windows, seven in number, which may have been 17thC, were removed from the roof of the south aisle, and the south aisle was reroofed at a lower pitch. The chancel and aisle floors were tiled; old plaster was removed and the interior was completely replastered. The font was restored and moved to the west end near the porch. The floor of the church was relaid. The chancel east window was completely restored and a new east window was placed in the south aisle. The screen was repaired and sedilia and a credence table made. Some of the monuments within the church were re-sited and heating was installed. The tower was also altered and the battlements restored.
“If anybody would like to expand to this series please do, I would just ask that you could let Sadexploration know first at firstname.lastname@example.org he can keep track of the Church numbers and names to avoid duplication.
There is also a Church Micro Stats & Information page found via the Bookmark list”