This unusual marker from 1925 sits just inside the Marshall County line. It was placed to honor the Marshalltown paving company, Anderson and Empie, which built the Lincoln Highway. A Lincoln Highway road sign is visible nearby.
The cache is NOT placed on or on the ground beside the marker. There has been a lot of field erosion around the sign, and there are drop-offs into a very steep ditch hidden by grass. Since the sign is large, it can be easily read from the road.
Parking could also be tricky at this location. DO NOT PARK ON E-49. Best parking is probably south of E-49 on the gravel road to avoid the driveway of the very active Key Cooperative on the corner, especially in the spring and fall. This will mean extra vigilance when crossing the highway. Please be careful at this location. It might be best to leave kids and dogs in the car. Also beware of muggle traffic from the co-op and on the highway. This is a cache only site so BYOP.