How Geocaching Works
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
This cache was originally placed for the the First State Challenge 2014 sponsored by Delaware Geocachers! Although the challenge has ended, this cache is still available to be found!!
FSC-2014 Dover Tavern
Street Parking is available nearby or try the waypoint parking (free weekends and after 5 pm. The cache is approved by Taylor Collins and Jan Crumpley of Parke Green Galleries. The staff knows about the cache and is very friendly.
Be sure to see the plaques about the tavern at the corner. From there you can see "The Green" which is now part of Delaware National Monument and the old Statehouse. This is a lovely section of Dover, enjoy a quick walking tour.
This was the site of the Golden Fleece Tavern, scene of some of the most important and dramatic events in Delaware history.
Built in the 1730s, the Golden Fleece was a center for community and government activities. It was a place of great importance during the American Revolution and the early years of our Nation’s Independence. Also known as Battell’s Tavern, it hosted the meetings of the Committee of Inspection and Observation, and was a vital point for the exchange of wartime communications. With the transfer of state government from New Castle to Dover in 1777, the Golden Fleece became the meeting place of the Assembly’s Upper House, the Legislative Council. It was the home of that body until a State House was completed in 1791.
In September 1787, a new framework for our Nation’s government was sent to the states for consideration. Thirty delegates were elected to meet and review the document. The meeting was convened here on December 3. Approval was unanimous, and on December 7, 1787, Delaware became the first state to ratify the Federal Constitution. A fitting climax to its role as Delaware’s “Capitol Tavern” occurred in January 1790, when the Council met to approve the Bill of Rights.
The state house was finished in 1791 and one of the first things they did was make a law saying the peoples business could not be convened in a tavern anymore.
The Golden Fleece was demolished circa 1830, and replaced by the Capitol Hotel. The hotel was closed in the 1920s, and renovated to its present appearance by Henry and Mabel Lloyd Ridgely.
There is another Golden Fleece Tavern on Loockerman Street which is an actual tavern, but that is NOT the original Golden Fleece Tavern.
Vasb obk ng 329 F Fgngr Fgerrg Vgf abg va gur sybjre cbgf