Cache #: 15
Access: All Vehicles, 24/7
Facilities: Parking, Fuel, Food & Toilets
A multi-cache centred around the Merton Heritage Walk.
Merton is located in the Shire of Murrindindi with a population of around 60 people. It is 15 km from Bonnie Doon, 36 km from Mansfield, 32 km from Alexandra and 56 km from Eildon on the Maroondah Highway.
Explorers Hume and Hovell passed through the area 12 February 1824. After white settlement the area was a section of the Borodomanan Station, owned by Colonel Kelso. Merton was established as a township during the gold rush days of the 1850s, with the Post Office first opening 1 July 1858 and the Merton School opening in the 1870s. The Merton Butter Factory was established in the 1890s. The Merton Mechanics Institute (renamed Merton Memorial Hall) was opened June 1923. A nine hole golf course was built at the Recreation Reserve in the 1930s.
Finding the Multi-Cache:
At the listed starting co-ordinates is the sign for the Merton Recreation Reserve. This is a good place to start your town walk. From the listed waypoint signs answer the following to get the final location:
Residents attended a meeting at the Merton Memorial Hall on the 2A of August, 1910.
The school number of the First Merton School is 10B7.
The Merton Primary School No. 1532 opened 187C.
The Butter Factory built in 1893 cost £71D.EDIT: D=5 ( Sign has been vandalised, will remove edit when replaced.)
The number of people in attendance for the opening of the Presbyterian-Uniting Church was E0.
A nine hole golf course was built at the Recreation Reserve in 193F.
S 36° 58.ABC E 145° 42.DEF