This lighthouse was originally constructed in 1885 to serve as the Delaware Breakwater Range Rear Light. Due to erosion, the light was decommissioned in 1918. The tower was disassembled in 1921, and reassembled on Gasparilla Island in 1927. However, the light was not lit until 1932, when it began service as the rear entrance range light for Port Boca Grande, with the front entrance range light approximately one mile off shore in the Gulf of Mexico. When the two lights, which flashed at different rates, lined up, the ships' navigators knew it was time to turn to enter Gasparilla Pass. Though the front range has been removed, the Boca Grande Rear Range Light remains in service today as the this lighthouse. It is an Aid to Navigation and is maintained by the U.S. Coast Guard Station St. Petersburg Aids to Navigation Team.
Year first lit: 1932
Foundation: iron steel piles
Construction: wrought iron
Tower shape: skeletal tower
Height: 105 feet (32 m)
Original lens: fourth order Fresnel lens
In order to get the correct coordinates, please choose which lighthouse this is:
A) Gasparillo Island Lighthouse - N29° 20.782 W81° 47.411
B) Key West Lighthouse - N29° 21.868 W81° 47.186
C) Amelia Island Lighthouse - N29° 22.378 W81° 47.486
To learn more about Florida Lighthouses, please visit the link below:
Lighthouse Friends, Florida Lighthouses: http://www.lighthousefriends.com/fl.html
Unless noted otherwise, all source material is from Wikipedia.