REALLY SideTracked - Watergate Halt.
How Geocaching Works
Related Web Page
Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer
The North Devon and Cornwall Junction Light Railway was a railway built to serve numerous ball clay pits that lay in the space between the London and South Western Railway's Torrington branch, an extension of the North Devon Railway group, and Halwill, an important rural junction on the North Cornwall Railway and its Okehampton to Bude Line.
Ball clay was an important mineral but its weight and bulk required efficient transportation; the material had been brought to main line railways by a 3 ft gauge tramway. Expanding volumes prompted conversion to a light railway requiring less complex engineering and operational procedures than a full railway and it was opened on 27 July 1925.
Passengers were carried in addition to the mineral traffic, but the business largely consisted of workers at the ball clay pits themselves.
This station was originally part of the North Devon and Cornwall Junction Light Railway, opened 27 July 1925 and was transferred to the Southern Region of British Railways in 1948. It was closed on 1 March 1965.
Congratulations to 'SSRJury' for being the 'First to Find'.
Unatvat ba jver YUF bs Vil pbirerq cbfg.