Skip to content

<

AGT(G) - Lusitani: Alto Alentejo

A cache by VilleCouer Send Message to Owner Message this owner
Hidden : 05/05/2016
Difficulty:
2 out of 5
Terrain:
2.5 out of 5

Size: Size:   small (small)

Join now to view geocache location details. It's free!

Watch

How Geocaching Works

Please note Use of geocaching.com services is subject to the terms and conditions in our disclaimer.

Geocache Description:


Atenção: A cada registo online deverá sempre corresponder o respetivo registo físico do mesmo nick. Dito isto, não admitiremos registos de tours e/ou nicks fictícios nas nossas caches pelo facto dos mesmos não corresponderem a contas oficiais de geocaching. Registos online que não tenham a devida correspondente física serão apagados!


Por favor, tenham muito cuidado com o container para não o danificarem!

Tenham muita atenção aos muggles, sobretudo os que estão sobre as vossas cabeças!

O código para a Lusitani final desta cache é o mesmo da versão anterior (GC1EAD3). Basta ter descoberto uma destas duas para poder chegar à Lusitani final.


Geocaching is not only Founds. Please, make interesting logs.

 

ALTO ALENTEJO

  O Alto Alentejo é uma sub-região estatística portuguesa, parte da Região Alentejo, correspondendo quase por completo ao Distrito de Portalegre, embora integre também um município do Distrito de Évora. Limitado a norte pelo Pinhal Interior Sul e pela Beira Interior Sul, a leste pela Espanha, a sul pelo Alentejo Central e a oeste pela Lezíria do Tejo e pelo Médio Tejo.
  Área: 6230 km². População (2001): 127 025. Compreende 15 concelhos:

 

ALTO ALENTEJO

  The statistical portuguese subregion called Alto Alentejo is part of the Alentejo Region and it corresponds almost entirely to the Portalegre District, although it also integrates a municipality of the Évora District. Limited to the north by Pinhal Interior Sul and Beira Interior Sul, to the east by Spain, to the south by Alentejo Central and to the west by Médio Tejo and Lezíria do Tejo.
  Area: 6230 km². Population (2001): 127 025. It has 15 countys:

  É Alentejo - mas não é bem Alentejo. Tem traços da Beira, outros do Ribatejo. É menos plano, mais verde, menos amplo, mais variado.
  O Alto Alentejo é caracterizado por uma grande variedade natural e paisagística. Por um lado, temos elementos característicos da peneplanície Alentejana de horizontes abertos e amplos, por outro lado encontramos, elementos típicos das paisagens mais a norte, montanhosas e frias.
  Um dos elementos dominantes da paisagem é a majestosa Serra de São Mamede, com as suas imponentes e vigorosas cristas quartzíticas.

  O passado está sempre presente no Alto Alentejo, desde a pré-história, passando pelo Império Romano, pela ocupação Árabe e pelos Castelos Medievais, os vestígios do passado são incontornáveis para o visitante, oferecendo uma verdadeira viagem no tempo.

  Mas, nem só do espírito vive o viajante, e quando o apetite se faz sentir, o Alto Alentejo tem muito para oferecer. Neste capítulo a criatividade dos Alentejanos não tem limite. Umas entradas com um extraordinário queijo de  Nisa acompanhado com um pão caseiro, siga pela Sopa de Cação ou pelo Gaspacho, isto sem falar na Açorda Alentejana, continue com o Ensopado de Borrego ou com as Migas de Espargos com carne de porco, momento certo para provar um tinto da região. Para terminar, os doces conventuais. Que tal uma Sericaia, uma Técula-Mécula, umas Trouxas-de-ovos ou um Toucinho Rançoso?

  Se gosta de passear pela natureza, passeie a pé pelo verde da Serra de S. Mamede onde as paisagens do Sul encontram as do Norte e descubra o mais Alto Alentejo.
  O Alto Alentejo tem muito para oferecer e espera a vossa visita.

 

  It is Alentejo - but it is not quite Alentejo. It has traces of Beira, others of Ribatejo. It is less plain-like, greener, less extensive, more varied.
  The Alto Alentejo is characterised by a big diversity of nature and of landscape. On one side, we can see the characteristics of the Alentejan plain, with wide open horizons,  and, on the other side, we can see landscapes that are similar of the north, mountainous and cold.
  A determining element of the landscape is the majestic “Serra de São Mamede” with its imposing and robust quartzite ridges.

  The past is something that is always present in Alto Alentejo, since prehistoric times, through the Roman Empire, the Muslim occupation and the Medieval Castles, the past remains are something impossible to avoid by the visitors, to whom is offered a real time travel.

  But, not only of the spirit can the travellers live, and when the appetite appears, the Alto Alentejo has a lot to offer. In that chapter Alentejo people's creativity knows no limit. As starter an extraordinary cheese from Nisa with some home made bread, after that, a squalus soup or a cold tomato soup, this without speaking in the Alentejo's bread-soup, carry on with an Ham ragout or some “migas” with asparagus with pork meat, the right moment to taste some regional red wine. To finish, the conventual deserts. What about a "Sericaia", a “Técula-Mécula”, some "Trouxas-de-ovos" or a "Toucinho Rançoso"?

  If you like to walk trough the Nature, take a walk by the S. Mamede Natural Park where the Southern landscapes meet the Northern ones and discover the highest Alentejo.  
  The Alto Alentejo has a lot to offer and waits for your visit.

 

CASTELO DE ALEGRETE

  Estrategicamente colocado, desde a Idade Média constitui-se numa das mais importantes fortificações do Alto Alentejo raiano, peça fundamental no sistema defensivo da região.
  À época da Reconquista cristã da península Ibérica, a povoação e sua defesa foram conquistadas pelas forças de D. Afonso Henriques (1112-1185), segundo a tradição, em 1160. Entretanto, as primeiras informações documentais a seu respeito datam do século XIII, uma vez que, pelos termos da Convenção de Badajoz (16 de Fevereiro de 1267), assinada entre Afonso III de Portugal (1248-1279) e seu sogro, Afonso X de Castela, a povoação de Alegrete e seu castelo foram definitivamente incorporados ao território de Portugal. O soberano português procedeu-lhe reparos e reforços, obras que se estenderam até ao reinado de D. Dinis (1279-1325), quando a povoação recebeu a sua Carta de Foral (1319).
  No contexto da crise de 1383-1385, a povoação e seu castelo tomaram partido pelo Mestre de Avis, tendo sido acampamento das forças portuguesas sob o comando do Condestável D. Nuno Álvares Pereira (8 de Abril de 1384), vitoriosas contra Castela na batalha dos Atoleiros.
  No reinado de D. Afonso V (1438-1481), foi conquistada pelas tropas de Castela (1475).
  De volta à posse portuguesa, a povoação recebeu, a 14 de Fevereiro de 1516, o Foral Novo de D. Manuel I (1495-1521).

 

ALEGRETE CASTLE

  Strategically placed, since the Middle Age constitutes one of the most important fortifications of the Alto Alentejo frontiersman, keystone in the defensive system of the region.
  At the time of the Christian reconquest of the Iberian peninsula, the village and its defense were conquered by the forces of D. Afonso Henriques (1112-1185), according to tradition, in 1160. However, the first documentary information about it date from the thirteenth century, since, by the terms of the Badajoz Convention (February 16, 1267), signed between Afonso III of Portugal (1248-1279) and his father, Alfonso X of Castile, the town of Alegrete and its castle were finally incorporated into the portuguese territory. The Portuguese sovereign held it repairs and reinforcements, works that extended until the reign of King D. Dinis (1279-1325), when the town received its charter from Foral (1319).
  In the context of the 1383-1385 crisis, the town and its castle sided for the Master of Avis, being camp of the Portuguese forces under the command of the Constable D. Nuno Alvares Pereira (8 April 1384), victorious against Castile in the battle of Atoleiros.
  During the reign of King D. Afonso V (1438-1481), it was conquered by the troops of Castile (1475).
  Back to Portuguese possession, the village received in February 14, 1516, the new Foral by King D. Manuel I (1495-1521)

  Quando da crise de sucessão de 1580, a posição do antigo castelo medieval readquiriu importância estratégica, na primeira linha de defesa raiana. Mais tarde, à época da Guerra da Restauração da independência portuguesa, D. João IV (1640-1656) recompensou Matias de Albuquerque por serviços prestados concedendo-lhe o título de conde de Alegrete. No mesmo contexto, conta-se que, em 1662, estando a praça de Alegrete guarnecida por duas companhias de infantaria sob o comando de La Coste, cercada pelas tropas espanholas sob o comando de D. João de Áustria, aquele governador da praça remeteu ao comandante invasor duas botijas do generoso vinho da região, com uma nota comunicando que a guarnição portuguesa resistiria até à última gota daquele fermentado ali produzido. Diante deste gesto de galanteria, afirma-se que o invasor levantou o cerco à praça, retirando-se. A partir de 1664 as suas defesas foram modernizadas e reforçadas em pontos específicos, sob a direcção do marquês de Marialva. À época, uma fortificação de campanha abaluartada, hoje desaparecida, foi erguida, provavelmente em faxina uma vez que não é possível, actualmente, identificar os seus vestígios. Ainda nesse século foi criado o marquesado de Alegrete (19 de Agosto de 1687), sendo seu primeiro titular D. Manuel Teles da Silva.

 

  In the succession crisis of 1580, the position of the medieval castle regained strategic importance, in the first line of borderland defense. Later on, in the Restoration of Portuguese Independence War, King D. João IV (1640-1656) rewarded Matias de Albuquerque for services by granting him the title of Count of Alegrete. In the same context, it is said that in 1662, with the Alegrete court garrisoned by two infantry companies over La Coste command, surrounded by Spanish troops under the command of Don Juan de Austria, the governor of Alegrete sent to the invading commander two bottles of generous wine of the region, with a note that the Portuguese garrison would resist until the last drop of that fermented produced over there. Given this gallant gesture, it is stated that the attacker lifted the siege of the square, withdrawing. From 1664 its defenses were modernized and reinforced at specific points under the direction of the Marquis of Marialva. At the time, a fortified bastion campaign, now vanished, was erected, probably in clean up since it is not possible at present to identify their remains. Later that century was created the Marquesado of Alegrete (19 August 1687), being its first holder D. Manuel Teles da Silva.

  No início do século XVIII, a povoação e sua fortificação resistem ao cerco das tropas de Filipe V da Espanha (1704), para mergulhar numa paz da qual só despertaria no início do século seguinte, quando aquartelou considerável número de tropas à época da chamada Guerra das Laranjas (1801). Por esta ocasião as suas defesas já se encontravam em considerável declínio, não tendo tido papel nos combates das Guerras Liberais que se registraram nas suas vizinhanças entre as tropas do conde de Vila Flor e os realistas (1826).

 

  In the early eighteenth century, the town and its fortification resisted the siege of the troops of Filipe V of Spain (1704), to dive in peace from which only wake up at the beginning of the next century, when stationed a considerable number of troops at the time of the so called Oranges War (1801). On this occasion his defenses were already in considerable decline, taking no part in the fighting of Liberal Wars who have been registered in their neighborhoods between the troops of the Count of Vila Flor and the realists (1826).

  Desde que o Concelho e Julgado de Alegrete foram suprimidos (26 de Junho de 1855), o seu castelo mergulhou no abandono e no esquecimento.
  No século XX foi classificado como Monumento Nacional pelo Decreto nº 35.443, de 2 de Janeiro de 1946, até que, a partir de 1965 foram iniciadas obras de consolidação e restauro, a cargo da Direcção-Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais (DGEMN). A partir de 1977 foram promovidas obras de consolidação na torre do castelo e demolidas alvenarias que tapavam as aberturas e as ameias. Mais tarde, a partir de 1984 foram promovidas obras de consolidação das muralhas e isolamento da entrada do castelo.
  Pese embora a importância das intervenções realizadas, o monumento aguarda por um programa mais amplo de valorização, uma vez que ainda se encontra em precário estado de conservação.

 

  Since the County and Court of Alegrete were suppressed (26 June 1855), its castle plunged into neglect and oblivion.
  In the twentieth century it was classified as a National Monument by Decree No. 35.443, of January 2, 1946, and in 1965 works of consolidation and restoration have began, in charge of the General Directorate for National Buildings and Monuments (DGEMN). Since 1977 consolidation works were held in the castle tower and demolished some walls that covered openings and battlements. Later, in 1984, consolidation works of the walls and isolation of the castle entrance were promoted.
  Despite the importance of interventions, the movement awaits a broader program of recovery as it is still in poor condition.

  Exemplar da arquitectura militar gótica, apresenta planta rectangular, irregular. Na sua muralha, ao sul, rasga-se o portão, defendido por um pequeno torreão. Nas muralhas, a leste, ergue-se a torre de menagem, de planta rectangular com dois pavimentos, associada a uma cisterna, integra o conjunto. O adarve, com acesso por escada de pedra, está alicerçado no terreno e disposto transversalmente ao pano da muralha. A defesa era complementada por uma cerca envolvendo a vila, ligando-a ao castelo. Em condições precárias de conservação, entre os poucos trechos conservados destaca-se a Porta da Vila, ladeada por dois cubelos defensivos, exemplar das portas góticas das cercas urbanas do mesmo período.

 

  An example of the Gothic military architecture, features a rectangular and irregular plan. In its southern wall, ripps the gate, defended by a small turret. On the eastern walls, stands the main tower with rectangular plan and two floors, associated with a cistern, part of the set. The battlement, with access by a stone staircase, is grounded on the ground and arranged transversely to the wall. The defense was complemented by a fence surrounding the village, linking it to the castle. In poor storage conditions, among the few preserved stretches, stands up the Village Gate, flanked by two defensive turrets, copy of the gothic doors of urban fences of the same period.

 

GEOCACHE

  Esta cache vai levá-lo a conhecer a bonita e pacífica freguesia alentejana de Alegrete, situada em pleno Parque Natural da Serra de São Mamede, no concelho de Portalegre, e dona de uma antiga e rica história. Aqui poderá visitar a bela Igreja Matriz (século XVI) e a Torre do Relógio que se encontra junto a si (século XVII), as Capelas de São Pedro (século XV) e da Misericórdia (século XVII), sem esquecer o principal monumento da localidade: o Castelo.
  A cache é uma vulgar caixa de plástico com os objectos habituais. Por favor deixe-a exactamente onde e como a encontrou.
  Dentro da cache, além dos objectos habituais, vai encontrar uma folha especial com um número. Por favor anote este número e o nome da cache. Juntando todos os códigos das 30 caches parciais, conseguirá obter as coordenadas da localização da cache final Lusitani, que está escondida algures em Portugal.
  Para dúvidas ou esclarecimentos relativos ao projecto global das caches Lusitani, pode contactar os responsáveis pelo projecto: GeoDuplaP&F.

 

GEOCACHE

  This cache will take you to know the beautiful and peaceful Alentejo's parish of Alegrete, located in the Natural Park of Serra de São Mamede, in the municipality of Portalegre, and owner of an old and rich history. Here you can visit the beautiful Church (XVI century) and the Clock Tower which is next to it (XVII century), the Chapels of St. Peter (XV century) and Mercy (XVII century), without forgetting the main monument: the Castle.
  The cache is an ordinary small box with the usual objects in it. Please leave it well hidden and as it was.
  Inside the cache, besides the usual objects, you'll find a special sheet with a number on it. Please note this number and the cache name. Keeping together all 30 partial caches codes, you'll get the way to find the coordinates of the final Lusitani cache, which is hidden somewhere in Portugal.
  If you have any doubt or need any clearing about the Lusitani cache project, you can contact the project developers: GeoDuplaP&F.




Additional Hints (Decrypt)

Qb ynqb qr sben, rager nf ebpunf. Aãb rfgá an zhenyun qb pnfgryb!

Fê qvfpergb r qrvkn ghqb pbzb rapbagenfgr, bh zryube nvaqn! Phvqnqb pbz bf zhttyrf, fboerghqb bf dhr rfgãb fboer n ghn pnorçn.

Decryption Key

A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M
-------------------------
N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y|Z

(letter above equals below, and vice versa)



Reviewer notes

Use this space to describe your geocache location, container, and how it's hidden to your reviewer. If you've made changes, tell the reviewer what changes you made. The more they know, the easier it is for them to publish your geocache. This note will not be visible to the public when your geocache is published.