A little history:
Mariaville is one of Schenectady County’s best-kept secrets. This tiny hamlet of about 710 people is part of the town of Duanesburg, founded by James Duane in the 1700’s, and named after his eldest daughter Maria (pronounced Mariah). It's about 45 minutes south of Saratoga and 30 minutes west of Albany. It was a resort community in the 1920’s and we believe it is experiencing a renaissance.
The area still retains much of its former layout. This federal style home is of historical significance and right on the lake. Built circa 1830 by Silas Marsh and improved upon by James Lasher, the home has seen a few additions and upgrades but still has the same charm.
Both Marsh and Lasher were earlier settlers and industrial pioneers in Mariaville. Marsh operated many businesses in Mariaville, including a gristmill, saw mill, store, and a trip hammer for making axes. He was a Schenectady County Clerk as well as a New York state assemblyman. James Lasher bought the house and took over the mill and store sometime in the 1860’s.