ABOUT THIS CEMETERY: This cemetery was established in 1884, and it includes over 100 graves, including pioneers John and Phebe Wilhoit, who are listed on the Oregon State "Early Oregonians" list.
Here is a little background about the family:
JOHN WILHOIT was born 19 Oct 1815 in Madison, Kentucky to Moses and Nancy (Douglas) Wilhoit. John died 18 Aug 1896 in Clackamas County, OR.
PHEBE (INGELS) WILHOIT was born 23 May 1818 in Meigs County, Ohio to Joseph and Nancy (Crooks) Ingels. She died 16 Nov 1888, Clackamas County, OR.
The family's migration from Indiana to Oregon can be tracked by the data on the Federal Census charts and also thru the birthplaces of their six known children:
1939 John and Phebe Married in Madison, Indiana and birth of Harriett M Wilhoit in 1839 in Indiana.
1841 daughter Luvica Jane Wilhoit is born in Missouri (birth 1841, died 1874
1946 son Leander Laf Wilhoit is born in Gentry, Missouri. (He lived 1846-1913)
1949 son Joseph Laf Wilhoit is born in Missouri. (He lived from 1849-1857)
1859 Oregon becomes a state 1860 Census: Marquam, Clackamas County, OR
1860 son John Wilhoit is born in Oregon. (He lived from 1860-1923)
1866 The Wilhoits create Wilhoit Mineral Springs Resort on their Land Claim in Clackamas County, Oregon
1870 Census: Upper Molalla, Clackamas County, OR
1880 Census: Lone Rock, Wasco, OR with Phebe and son John W (age 20)
1888 Phebe died, leaving John a widow.
1990 Census: Wasco County, OR
John married E J Masterson 29 Jul 1889, Clackamas County, OR
HISTORY OF WILHOIT MINERAL SPRINGS RESORT:
In 1866, John and Phebe took out a land claim in rural Clackamas County (just a few miles from Russellville Community Cemetery), on land that included mineral springs and they developed and operated a health and pleasure resort. By 1882 the resort featured a road, post office and hotel with two “medicinal” mineral springs (one sulfur, one soda), cabins, bath houses, swimming pools and enjoyed daily stage coach. The resort was considered "one of Oregon's finest and most popular resort destinations" by Frank W. McLeran. In 1884 and 1885 the springs were recognized by articles in the German paper "Deutsche Hausohatz", gaining world-wide attention, and in 1899 the springs were featured in the book "The Mineral Waters of the United States and Their Theraputic Uses". Following the World Wars and a tighter economy, the resort slowly declined. The
Wilhoit Springs changed hands in 1955 when they were purchased by Al and Mabel Schoenborn, and eventually ownership changed hands again, acquired by Clackamas County and converted into a park.
Check out these two links for more info:
HISTORY WITH PHOTOS: http://www.duntonfarms.com/wilhoit/index.htm
THE CURRENT WILHOIT PARK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhoit_Springs