The 328th in a series of caches where a red telephone box
is in close proximity to a post box
Piddlehinton is a village in West Dorset, situated in the Piddle Valley, 5½ miles north-east of Dorchester. The village derives its name from the river on which it sits – The Piddle – and has one public house and St Mary’s church, but no shop or post office. A microbrewery - Piddle Brewery - was established in Piddlehinton in 2008 and produces 300 gallons of ale every week.
Piddlehinton was originally known as Hyne-Pydel – ‘Marsh of the Monks’ – which eventually became corrupted into Honeypuddle. In 1417, after the Battle of Agincourt, the French-owned monastic manor was confiscated by Henry V and granted to the Augustinian Priory at Christchurch. Then, in 1442, Henry VI handed it to the newly established Eton College, which held the estate until 1966 when it was sold.
The village post box used to stand close to where the former post office used to be, but has since been moved nearer to the red telephone box.
To find the cache…
What is the telephone number of the phone box? 01300 ABCDEF
What is the identification number of the post box? DT2 GHJ
N 50° 46. (J-A) (C-H) (E+G)
W 002° 24. (D+F) (B-G) (H-E)
Checksum for all co-ordinates = 43
The final location is a short walk from A Fine Pair
The cache is a 35mm film pot
PLEASE REHIDE CAREFULLY