About Really Sidetracked - Town Moor, Sunderland Station
The first railway passenger services to Sunderland were provided by the Durham & Sunderland Railway Company in 1836. The line approached from the south along the coast and the terminus was near South Dock, which was known as Town Moor station.
Town Moor station was later described as being a building that "has never been much admired for its architecture, nor for its convenience and accommodation".
At this stage the railway was powered by rope hauling, until around 1857 when locomotives were used. In 1858 a new Sunderland station was opened at Hendon, about 880 yards south of the original terminus, but from 1879 passenger trains were diverted into a new Central station. 1893 saw the line reach Durham Elvet in a branch off before Shincliffe.